American IPA Recipe Thoughts

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
timryan said:
Gday All Ive touched up the recipe final opinions? Im open to all recommendations... Also with a 10L boil how miuch amber malt should i add?

Ingredients:
2 x1.5kg Amber Malt Extract​
600g Dextrose​
400g MaltDex​
57g Simcoe Hops Pellets​
42g Galaxy Hops Pellets​
12g Citra Hops Pellets​
US05 Yeast​

Boil:
- Bring 10L of water to boil.​
15g Galaxy hops @30min
15g Simcoe hops – @20min
15g Galaxy hops – @20min​
30g Simcoe hops – @5min
- Hop additions as per above.​
- Allow to cool than added to fermenter.​

Dry Hop:
12g Galaxy hops dry hop​
12g Simcoe dry hop​
12g Citra dry hop​

Cheers Tim
You generally want about 1.045 in the boil I belive so probably 1kg of Amber should be about right! Also if you are "allowing it to cool" you need to be aware that you may get extra ibus depending on how long it takes to do so. Consider an ice bath etc to cool it quickly and get it closer to the calculated ibu

Haha yer it's been on and off due to work and time commitments... I think I'm fairly happy with the look of it...

Looks good mate. I'd be inclined to just give it a whirl and see how it turns out.

Personally I'd switch out half of your Amber extract for pale (light) malt.

For AIPA's I go with a 60 minute bittering addition to get you about half of your IBUs and get the rest from 10, 5 or flameout additions. I also dry hop about 3 or 4 days before bottling.

shacked said:
Looks good mate. I'd be inclined to just give it a whirl and see how it turns out.

Personally I'd switch out half of your Amber extract for pale (light) malt.

For AIPA's I go with a 60 minute bittering addition to get you about half of your IBUs and get the rest from 10, 5 or flameout additions. I also dry hop about 3 or 4 days before bottling.
Thanks Shacked I might switch out 1.5kgs to light instead... I think I just need to brew it and see what happens... Thanks again

Latest posts

Back