American Brown Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cubbie

Reaction score
Looking at doing an American Brown Ale this weekend and was just after some feedback on this recipe

Guidelines
OG: 1.045 - 1.060
IBUs: 20 - 40+
FG: 1.010 - 1.016
SRM: 18 - 35 (47- 92 EBC)
ABV: 4.3 - 6.2%

4.4kg JWM Trad Ale Malt 84.6% 6
0.5kg JWM Choc Malt 9.6% 750
0.3kg JWM Crystal 5.8% 130

23L at @75% eff

SG 1.052
EBC 65.2

Bitter with Chinook @ 60min to about 30IBU
and finish with either (or both) Fuggles and Cascade at 10 or 5 min

Mash at 66 for 60min and 90min boil

Wyeast 1332 Northwest

Firstly is that a bit much Choc malt and if so what could I substitute to maintain the colour (albeit I had a guess at the EBC of the grains)

Id be dropping the cascade and use the fuggles, adding some around 20mins for aroma.

KHB

Halve the choc malt and you should still be in the zone.

SRM to EBC calculations look out.

From what i have read, EBC = 1.97 x SRM.

So the EBC range is actually 35 - 69.

Not sure of the colour of JW choc, beersmith suggest 750 but when i used it i put in 1100.

I brew a lower ABV american amber ale which is a Rogers type beer which has got plenty of good feedback if you are interested.

Halve the choc malt and you should still be in the zone.

SRM to EBC calculations look out.

From what i have read, EBC = 1.97 x SRM.

So the EBC range is actually 35 - 69.

Not sure of the colour of JW choc, beersmith suggest 750 but when i used it i put in 1100.

I brew a lower ABV american amber ale which is a Rogers type beer which has got plenty of good feedback if you are interested.

I grabbed the EBC range from the min max that promash provides. I guess at 65.2 I am at the top end of colour according to your calcs.

Yeah I adjusted down my promash EBC colours based on what the values my LHBS shop gives online

Finally yeah I would love a look at your recipe. Just bottled an American Mild a week ago, it is a style a like a lot (though only brewed the once)

I say for an american beer use american hops, I have had good results with Willamette for aroma in an ABA. Two additions 30 mins and 15 for about 15.5 IBU, plus your bittering chinook. Luvly :icon_cheers:

cheers

grant

I agree with DrS that half that choc should be plenty. I'd just stick to Cascade for an American Brown for flavour/aroma. That should make a good beer. One suggestion is that you could also sub some darker crystal for some of the crystal you have.

Looking at doing an American Brown Ale this weekend and was just after some feedback on this recipe

You've been given a mob of good answers by a number of the best brewers here on AHB which I say now, take as serious good advice, but you didn't mention the most important point. Are you looking for an authentic American Brown along the lines of BJCP guidelines or a great tasting beer along the American Brown style. I reckon I have just (he says :rolleyes: ) enough street cred to say there is a difference. I don't say this for wanking sake, but the best advice you'll get will go along two slightly different sides of the to the style. I'm big an ugly enough to stand my ground when I say, you can brew a great american brown style along BJCP guidelines and you can brew a great american brown style beer which doesn't fit "official styles" but tastes good too !

Tell us your reasons for wanting to brew an american brown and what flavours/tastes etc you are wanting to achieve and we'll give you get a further refining of your recipe by talented men like those who have responded.

i agree w/stu and smurto.

85-90% Pale Malt
5% Chocolate Malt
5-10% Crystal light/medium

You can sub some of the crystal for some specialty/base like munich or melanoiden.

Personally i would go

85% Pale
5% Choc
6% Crystal
4% Munich

25 IBU @ 60 Min - Cascade

10 IBU @ 10 Min Chinook/Cascade

1.5g/L @ Whirlpool Chinook

Dry hop cascade 1g/L

mmmmmmm...

i agree w/stu and smurto.

85-90% Pale Malt
5% Chocolate Malt
5-10% Crystal light/medium

You can sub some of the crystal for some specialty/base like munich or melanoiden.

Personally i would go

85% Pale
5% Choc
6% Crystal
4% Munich

25 IBU @ 60 Min - Cascade

10 IBU @ 10 Min Chinook/Cascade

1.5g/L @ Whirlpool Chinook

Dry hop cascade 1g/L

mmmmmmm...

Yes, mmmm, mmmm Cascade and Chinook

You've been given a mob of good answers by a number of the best brewers here on AHB which I say now, take as serious good advice, but you didn't mention the most important point. Are you looking for an authentic American Brown along the lines of BJCP guidelines or a great tasting beer along the American Brown style. I reckon I have just (he says :rolleyes: ) enough street cred to say there is a difference. I don't say this for wanking sake, but the best advice you'll get will go along two slightly different sides of the to the style. I'm big an ugly enough to stand my ground when I say, you can brew a great american brown style along BJCP guidelines and you can brew a great american brown style beer which doesn't fit "official styles" but tastes good too !

Tell us your reasons for wanting to brew an american brown and what flavours/tastes etc you are wanting to achieve and we'll give you get a further refining of your recipe by talented men like those who have responded.

Well I tend to take others recipe's and modify them slightly according to what I have on hand, so this time I thought I would have a look at the guidelines and create something that I thought fitted using some of the hops I have on hand (Cascade, small amount of Chinook, fuggles).

I also have wyeast 1332 which wyeast match to the ABA style.

Last brews were an APA and a American Mild so looking at something just that little bit less hoppy.

Cubbie.

I think that recipe looks good if you halve the choc. I'd stick with cascade and fuggles on the end, it doesn't have to be all c-hopped if you don't wanna.

Well I tend to take others recipe's and modify them slightly according to what I have on hand, so this time I thought I would have a look at the guidelines and create something that I thought fitted using some of the hops I have on hand (Cascade, small amount of Chinook, fuggles).

I also have wyeast 1332 which wyeast match to the ABA style.

Last brews were an APA and a American Mild so looking at something just that little bit less hoppy.

Cubbie.

Taking a simple line, the grain bills between a "standard" American Brown and a "standard" English Brown are just about the same. Even Jamil has a AB recipe using Marris Otter rather than an american grain. The crystal and choc malts are always variable depending on personal taste, but exist in both. So the main variation as expected is the yeast and the hops. Using cascade and fuggles mixes the two "cultures" so to speak so can confuse your ideas of an American Brown. If you wish to follow your american theme (APA, AM) then stick with the all american hop concept - Chinook then Cascade. You don't need to be heavy with the hop. If you want a more malty/less hoppy result, go all fuggles for a more English Brown.

I like adding wheat to my american brews for a extra fun (as well as head and body, as well as a lighter flavour) Not per BJCP guideleines, but not brewed for competitions, just pleasure. I have an American Brown Wheat Beer in the recipes that was a hit in the last NSW Case Swap. This is what I mean about making recipes to either suit the style (potentially for shows) or just for fun brewing to suit for the enjoyment and education.

Just us a hoy when you have the final recipe and some tasting notes further down the track.

Id be dropping the cascade and use the fuggles, adding some around 20mins for aroma.

KHB

Me personally, I would stick with the Cascade. Not sure about using the English Fuggles. You really need to decide yourself I suppose what your aroma preference reaaly is as well.

BYB

Yes, mmmm, mmmm Cascade and Chinook

Ive got 100g Cascade prepped for an APA, might sub or add some of the 100g of Chinook ive had sitting in my fridge for almost 6 months (vacuum sealed of course). My fav hop but ive been neglecting to use her for so long... must be my recent addiction to simcoe. :icon_drool2:

Ive got 100g Cascade prepped for an APA, might sub or add some of the 100g of Chinook ive had sitting in my fridge for almost 6 months (vacuum sealed of course). My fav hop but ive been neglecting to use her for so long... must be my recent addiction to simcoe. :icon_drool2:

If storing the Chinook is an issue, please let me know, i'd more than happy to help you out by relieving you of the burden! :icon_drunk:

:icon_cheers: SJ

Just a note on my EBC numbers I had Promash set to Traditional EBC while I was adjusting my grain colours to New EBC. No doubt if I drop the Choc now it will come out in the colour range I am after.

Thanks for all the advice. I will def drop my choc % and may add some dark crystal in place of the crystal (if need be). In terms Of the hops I think I may stick with a small amount of fuggles just to let the malt shine threw a bit more but that may just change on the day.

Cheers.

If storing the Chinook is an issue, please let me know, i'd more than happy to help you out by relieving you of the burden! :icon_drunk:

Yeah i don't have a problem getting through it, but I will keep you in mind. :)

Just a note on my EBC numbers I had Promash set to Traditional EBC while I was adjusting my grain colours to New EBC. No doubt if I drop the Choc now it will come out in the colour range I am after.

Thanks for all the advice. I will def drop my choc % and may add some dark crystal in place of the crystal (if need be). In terms Of the hops I think I may stick with a small amount of fuggles just to let the malt shine threw a bit more but that may just change on the day.

Cheers.

Fuggles only or cascade + fuggles?

Just fuggles would give you an english brown ale/brown porter/dark mild etc.

Never used fuggles/cascade combo before but like Kai i reckon it would work.

Piney citrus cascade with the earthy aromas of fuggles (which i love in dark beers)...... :icon_drool2:

Fuggles only or cascade + fuggles?

Just fuggles would give you an english brown ale/brown porter/dark mild etc.

Never used fuggles/cascade combo before but like Kai i reckon it would work.

Piney citrus cascade with the earthy aromas of fuggles (which i love in dark beers)...... :icon_drool2:

Yes I am thinking both, will definately be keeping a good amount of Cascade in there.

Yeah i don't have a problem getting through it, but I will keep you in mind. :)

Whats that old saying? Absence makes the heart grow fonder? :super:

I was saving it up for a Amber ale....... that was my next beer planned after i brew this APA.

Latest posts

Back