American Amber recipe?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nick667

Reaction score
Can anyone point me in the direction of an American amber that is not to strong, say 4-5%, well balanced and just a 'nice' beer. When I try to find a recipe on any of the forum sites they all seem to have quite high alc/vol.
I all grain with temp control and use dry yeasts.
Would appreciate any advice. Want to run one this weekend if poss.

You could just take one of those recipes and scale it down to your desired ABV. You could either scale all malts linearly, or just scale down the base malt and leave the spec. malts the same if not making a big ABV change.
The other thing to scale down would be your bittering hops. Check the BU:GU ratio of the original and try to keep it the same when you scale down the hops

Download DIY Dog (from the Brew Dog guys in Scotland) and check out the 5am saint recipe.

Love that beer. They call it an American Red Ale, but it might as well be an amber.

I haven't made it yet, but it's on my (very long) to do list.

JD

I can't vouch for these, having not brewed them (I tend to make design my own recipes) but look sound* and first is around 5% abv.

http://byo.com/mead/item/126-american-amber-style-profile

*maybe more crystal than I'd consider in the 2nd but that's also a stronger abv.

Any recipe, you can reduce grain proportion or increase water volume to tweak this. Also mash profile but that's a bit trickier.

Keep it simple:

90% maris otter
10% blend of medium and dark crystal

You can substitute a little Munich for base malt if you like Munich.

I add 50g of carafa special 1 for colour.

Clean bittering hop for 50% of your desired IBU in the boil and a mix of your favorite hops late for the rest of the IBU.

For a 5% beer I'd probably go 40IBU.

5% dark crystal
3% Shepherd's Delight
92% Golden Promise
Hop with Mount Hood to 30 IBUs. Assuming a 20L batch, add 20g Mt Hood at -15 minutes. If you want a fruity note at knockout add 10 g of Galaxy or Mosaic or 15-20 of Mandarina.

Mash at 68-69 or use a Hochkurz mash. Ferment w a West Coast yeast strain.

Yeah I'm with JDW81 I've brewed up something like brewdogs 5am Saint and can confirm it's a cracking beer drank plenty of them of tap when I lived in Scotland[emoji106]I uses US05 and turned out great. ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1487316657.814650.jpg

Back