Amarillo Shortage?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They're out of Chinook too.

OH MY GOD - quick! Chinook is running out! :rolleyes:

Ross, the amarillo you have what year was it? The last time I purchased some it was quite nice and citrusy but this time around its very bland.

Also I tried that shop in the UK that Nick jd posted and they don't ship to aus. I guess that means you can't get it for $30 then from there.

bum said:
"Amarillo Hops are a highly sought after (and hard to come by) Aromatic Hop"

"Amarillo Hops are a highly sought after (and easy to hold onto and charge twice start of season's retail) Deoderant Hop"

Nick JD said:
easy to hold onto and charge twice start of season's retail) Deoderant Hop"
Surely this only works if there is reduced competition (i.e. a shortage is being experienced)? Which is it - is there a shortage or no?

If you can still buy Amarillo this August, then we'll know that for sure I s'pose.

I have a sneaking suspicion that the shortage is in reality, people holding onto it and leaking it out to double their profit. Good for them, that's how business works and all - but it's a bit manipulative and smacks of oil companies hiking prices on the Friday of a long weekend.

Hops direct sold all their's for $17 a pound. Had they held onto it, and released it successively over the year - they could have got $35 for it. But they didn't.

Betcha there's literally tons of Amarillo sitting in freezers around the world right now.

Nick JD said:
If you can still buy Amarillo this August, then we'll know that for sure I s'pose.

I have a sneaking suspicion that the shortage is in reality, people holding onto it and leaking it out to double their profit. Good for them, that's how business works and all - but it's a bit manipulative and smacks of oil companies hiking prices on the Friday of a long weekend.

Hops direct sold all their's for $17 a pound. Had they held onto it, and released it successively over the year - they could have got $35 for it. But they didn't.

Betcha there's literally tons of Amarillo sitting in freezers around the world right now.
Global Amarillo Shortage conspiracy.

My money is on organised crime controlling the market - similar to what they did with tomatoes in Melbourne years ago.

please note my sarcasm

is there any reason it can't be home-grown like other hops?

Yeah. Patent law.

Amarillo is easy to make at home. I have the recipe. Here it is.

To 1 pound of Cascade Hops, liberally add 1 aerosol can of Rexona Sport deodorant, a teaspoon of cat wee and a dash of nectarine juice.

Let dry and package with a $35 price tag.

Does anybody else get the feeling Nick isn't a huge fan of Amarillo? I can't put my finger on it but I'm getting this subtle vibe.

Nick JD said:
Amarillo is easy to make at home. I have the recipe. Here it is.

To 1 pound of Cascade Hops, liberally add 1 aerosol can of Rexona Sport deodorant, a teaspoon of cat wee and a dash of nectarine juice.

Let dry and package with a $35 price tag.
sounds more like the recipe for bad batch of simcoe to me... : )

I've used about a pound and a half of Amarillo so far in my brews.

Amarillo is sooooooooooooo 2012.

But seriously, buying hops in pounds is a great way to end up with them getting right under your skin. I've become quite bored of Amarillo and Nelson.

Still love them, just bored. I drink an A/I PA these days and want it to be "C" hoppy - back to the roots of ales.

These "fruitbowl" hops can really get on your nerves when you have pounds of them. Nice, but too dominant.

Latest posts

Back