Alternative uses for Starsan?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

waggastew

Reaction score
Just solved an annoying house problem with good old Starsan. We have a 30 year old house whose two main front windows had significant water marks on the exterior when we moved in. May have been cleaned with bore water (we have a tap in our backyard) or just built up over time. Tried the usual methods to clean but nothing shifted it.

I was reading randomly about acid based window cleaners and phosphoric acid was mentioned. Thought I would try scrubbing a sample spot on the corner of the window with undiluted Starsan and super fine steel wool. Washed it and it seemed to work.

Did the rest today and voila! Definitely need to use neat as at one stage I tried it on a wet window and it didn't work as well.

Usual caveats apply - Try on an inconspicuous space, wear safety equipment (goggles, gloves, mask, Hazmat suit, cricket box, dental dam.....), no liability if you end up disfigured etc

Anybody else got novel uses for Starsan? Tis the Araldite of the brewing world!

High concentrations remove paint from refrigerators.

i did the daughters bottles and other stuff with it when we were sanitising the lot of them.

Sanitize fishbowls. Also rinse.

Meat in the fridge a day past date and smelling SLIGHTLY left of centre? A little soak in Starsan will take care of that. If you dare.

I use it to sanitise jars for pickles and preserves.

Haven't killed anyone yet.

I was wondering this only the other day. Thought if you waited long enough someone would ask.

I was thinking of using it for bench tops and the likes. I seem to have enough to last a long time so doesn't seem like much of a waste.

I discovered it downs and kills blow flies (or blue bottles if you’re in the UK) if you spray them with it (diluted). Doesn’t have any effect on smaller house flies though.

Mardoo said:
Sanitize fishbowls. Also rinse.

Meat in the fridge a day past date and smelling SLIGHTLY left of centre? A little soak in Starsan will take care of that. If you dare.
I think I might give that one a miss, lol.

That rainbow/multi coloured effect you get on old meat looked somewhat similar to the hard water marks on my window................

I used it on an infected finger nail after slamming my finger in the car door.

I don't think it made it worse...

If you live in an area with crappy tap water and your electric kettle has a build up of calcium on the element then neat Starsan will melt it off if left overnite...:)

undiluted it ate a big fat chunk in my quartzstone bench top so now we have a love:hate relationship.

While we are at it - Sodium Percarbonate makes a great toilet cleaner. Just flush the toilet and then dust over some Sodium Perc'. I leave it for the day and then scrub it but half an hour would probably be fine.

I've also used it to bleach grout lines in the kitchen. Actual bleach might be better for that though.

Latest posts

Back