Alternative To A Length Of Beer Line For Keg Balancing

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hefevice

Reaction score
One of the biggest pains in the butt with kegging is the amount of line required to balance the system. First problem is that the ideal amount of line will vary with the required carbonation level of the beer. Second is that if you just want to take small samples from different kegs, you effectively waste the beer that is currently in the lines.

One elegant solution to the balancing issue is the Celi tap with an adjustable flow restrictor. I was originally considering buying a Celi and coupling it directly to a beer out post to allow easy sampling (e.g. checking a carbonating or conditioning keg periodically). As I am a total tooltard, I couldn't find an easy way to couple the Celi to a beer out (and have it self support). So, while pondering this problem, I had an epiphany - why not just use an adjustable valve?

Here's a picture that I tried out:

med_gallery_1950_619_231439.jpg

To adjust for carbonation level, simply adjust the valve. I've tried it on a few beers so far, and it seems to work perfectly. Here's a shot of an APA that I've just carbed up:

med_gallery_1950_544_86452.jpg

Is this totally mad? Has anyone else tried this and got different results?

If it is useful to anyone, it might be worth adding it to the Kegging wiki.

The only problem I can see is if you have particles in your keg - dry hopping for example. They might block off an almost shut valve.
It seems compelling, I'd like to see what the kegging experts think, because I find balancing a pain.

The only reason not to - is if it introduces too much turbulence in the line, which can cause the C02 to break out of solution, fizzing up your beer and defeating the purpose. Thats why the Celi taps etc have that nice smooth cone jigger - maximum restriction but minimum turbulence.

But, anything that increases the line resistance will do the job in some way shape or form - a partially closed valve, a smaller diameter line, more line, even just a clamp on the line to squeeze it a bit...

A purpose built restrictor like the one built into a celi tap will generally do the job with the minimum potential for issues... but that's not to say that a more down to earth solution wont work or at least partly work in your system

TB

PS - a Celi tap on a short bit of line, is really really easy to use as a sort of a beer gun. You hold the shank of the tap in one hand and push the tap handle forward with your thumb. Viola - Beer Gun for quick sampling, doesn't need to be self supporting, adjustable. Tried it, works well.

I believe Ross has something very similar hefevice, but nice work (linky)

Not sure how it compares to the celi mechanism for smoothness etc.

Cheers SJ

Thanks for the idea. I sick of my Kegmate not being able to pour a decent beer. (it does pour beer, but just not a decent pour) I was thinking of extending the length of beer line, but was thinking it may be too hard to get inside the font. Also then I would be left with heaps of crappy line to get in the way in the fridge. With this idea I don't need to extend the line at all.

QldKev

The idea of crimping the line is interesting.

A little adjustable crimper thing you connect onto your line for example.

Thanks for the idea. I sick of my Kegmate not being able to pour a decent beer. (it does pour beer, but just not a decent pour) I was thinking of extending the length of beer line, but was thinking it may be too hard to get inside the font. Also then I would be left with heaps of crappy line to get in the way in the fridge. With this idea I don't need to extend the line at all.

QldKev

Yup my Kegmate with the Indian made triple font (ex CraftBrewer) pours a great beer after about four days of carbing, but the pour gets a bit wild from then onwards and it's hard to get the serving pressure right by working the knob on the Reg. I see that Hefe has a couple of JG fittings on both ends of the line so obviously the entire thingo can be taken out and flushed through if it's getting stuff caught in it. The one from Ross has built in JG type fittings. As you say Kev, it gets a bit crowded in there with three kegs and yards of line would be a PITA :p

Hefe, where did you get yours and how much? I see that the CraftBrewer one, whilst clearly a lovely bit of microengineering, is over $30 - 3 for a hundred bucks would just about get me two extra kegs <_<

Edit: please don't say Crazy Clarks in Milan B)

Yup my Kegmate with the Indian made triple font (ex CraftBrewer) pours a great beer after about four days of carbing

If the carb is done by four days and it pours fine can't you just turn the gas off? you can pour a few beers on what gas is in there, then just top up as required. and if you have a drinking session just turn the gas back on..

Yup my Kegmate with the Indian made triple font (ex CraftBrewer) pours a great beer after about four days of carbing, but the pour gets a bit wild from then onwards and it's hard to get the serving pressure right by working the knob on the Reg. I see that Hefe has a couple of JG fittings on both ends of the line so obviously the entire thingo can be taken out and flushed through if it's getting stuff caught in it. The one from Ross has built in JG type fittings. As you say Kev, it gets a bit crowded in there with three kegs and yards of line would be a PITA :p

Hefe, where did you get yours and how much? I see that the CraftBrewer one, whilst clearly a lovely bit of microengineering, is over $30 - 3 for a hundred bucks would just about get me two extra kegs <_<

If the carb is done by four days and it pours fine can't you just turn the gas off? you can pour a few beers on what gas is in there, then just top up as required. and if you have a drinking session just turn the gas back on..

BribieG - on top of that you need to spend more $ for the reducers, as we have the fat walled beer line in these.

Gava - The idea behind paying the premium for the craftbrewer setup was so I did not have to stuff around with gassing etc. I never have to turn the gas on my old setup off/on. It just stays on all the time and I get good pours.

I'm seriously thinking about building my own font to take celi taps, but thats another $600 by the time I build it and add 3 x celi taps. So much for a premuim product.

QldKev

Yup my Kegmate with the Indian made triple font (ex CraftBrewer) pours a great beer after about four days of carbing, but the pour gets a bit wild from then onwards and it's hard to get the serving pressure right.

Bribie, if your beer is fine but then becoming over carbed then you are pouring at a higher pressure than you should be. Turning the reg down once it's over carbed is not a good fix. Set your regulator lower in the first place & it will all come into balance - You should be pouring at your carbonation pressure, which will result in the same carbonation till the keg runs dry.

cheers Ross

Gava - The idea behind paying the premium for the craftbrewer setup was so I did not have to stuff around with gassing etc. I never have to turn the gas on my old setup off/on. It just stays on all the time and I get good pours.

ahh yeah good point.. I used the balance keg spread sheet when setting my system up and I used 3m~ of good beer line with fridge tap shanks and it worked fine.. I leave my Gas on all the time also and got perfect pours.. I then brought a celli tap and have around 1.5m and just use the restricter to get great pours.. highly recommend..

edit: Agree with Ross, I put my gas on at 82KPA@4c I think for 2.6 and leave that for a week it carbs up and i pour at 82kpa.. set and forget.. easy.

+1 for a Celli if you aren't very handy or couldnt be assed with mtrs and mtrs of beer line...

best bit I ever bought!!

There is an alternative to Celli, which is the Dorado (Celli rip off) $50.

I have 3, straight on the fridge door. I assume they fit Celli shanks though. They tend to drip for a few seconds after shut off, but I dont mind hild the galss there that long. They also leak when pressing back for creamer flow. But not something I use at all.

got mine from Pinnacle in Ballarat. Definatley worth it to get rid of the balancing via lengths of beer line issues.

Link

The only reason not to - is if it introduces too much turbulence in the line, which can cause the C02 to break out of solution, fizzing up your beer and defeating the purpose. Thats why the Celi taps etc have that nice smooth cone jigger - maximum restriction but minimum turbulence.

That was my worry when I tried this, but it is not happening, so I must have fluked a tap with suitable internal geometry.

PS - a Celi tap on a short bit of line, is really really easy to use as a sort of a beer gun. You hold the shank of the tap in one hand and push the tap handle forward with your thumb. Viola - Beer Gun for quick sampling, doesn't need to be self supporting, adjustable. Tried it, works well.

Did consider that, but I'm too clumsy...

Got in from Ross for $24, SKU36430. Different to and cheaper than the flow reducer.

Gah...FAIL!!!!

Spoke too soon. TB was right about the turbulence. Now the beer is carbed to the right level, starting to see the ill effects :(

This method probably only works up to about 60kPa.

Nothing to see here...move along...

Remember Jye and possibly Chad using some sort of line restrictor in a party keg set up back about 2006, think they had some device inside the line.

Screwy

That thing looks great, wonder if you can still get them from the same supplier.....I'd love some as my system tends to pour great for the first two weeks but after that gets a bit heady....

Latest posts

Back