Ally Pot Size 60 Or 80l?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a 60lt, the 80lt would be better for double batches. Though I would rather brew single batches often rather than doubles less often, so I find the 60lt better for me. If I went larger then I would need a bigger mash tun, HLT and so on. That being said though, if I was buying again I would probably go the 80lt.

Cheers
Gavo.

Hi Bizier,

I don't know if there are any restrictions in the apartments where you live, but a while ago on Basic Brewing Radio a brewer emailed in that the apartment manager almost knocked his door down and ordered him to stop brewing. Apparently no one was allowed to use over a certain size gas cylinder within x distance of the building. He was brewing on his patio at the time. I don't know what rules apply in Australia but if there is you can bet someone will let you know sooner than later, as you'll be brewing in the carpark area you'd have to have someone watching the system all day so no one gets burned.

I don't want to be a killjoy, just thought you might want to check this angle out (of course you might of already) before you commit to a giant system you couldn't use indoors if someone did complain. Also another good point about a big pot is it's great to store a lot of your gear in it between brews, keeping it all in one place.

My apartment is not very strict on much, but I will suss it out.

My 2cents.

Go the 100L. I got the 100L one because there little $ difference. I use the above burner setup and it will boil 80L so you should be good to go.

I normally do double batches as my time is limited. I normally do 2 x 25L and use a different yeast in each to get two different beers. You would be surprised how different the beers can be.

Also, the worst thing is to go into one of the 28 bottle XMAS swaps, have everyone say how awesome your beer was and only get 1 bottle to drink for yourself. :(

And you can still do single batches (as mentioned above you will need to get your evap and trub losses nailed)

Edit: Down side to a big pot is that you WILL need a pump and a big mash tun.

Cheers
Andrew.

The yeast thing is part of the attraction to the double batch for me. And I have to currently brew similar beers anyway for temp control.

I was thinking of doing 2 consecutive mashes (heating the first runnings to pasteurise) and a single boil. But I am looking for reasons to need more bling like a pump and big mashtun.

Edit: Down side to a big pot is that you WILL need a pump and a big mash tun.

Cheers
Andrew.

You will need a big mash tun, but a pump is not vital. You can still gravity feed. I managed 50litres into my fermentors over the weekend and I only gravity fed it.

I started with a 40 litre pot and with a standard 22-23 litre batch it was tight. I have gone to an 80l and i easily get 50l into fermentors.

I do 50lt batches now because I entertain a lot at home rather than go out and pay excise and always have a steady flow of friends drinking my brews so double batches suit me. Plus I have a decent garage to accommodate my rig.

You will need a big mash tun, but a pump is not vital. You can still gravity feed. I managed 50litres into my fermentors over the weekend and I only gravity fed it.

I started with a 40 litre pot and with a standard 22-23 litre batch it was tight. I have gone to an 80l and i easily get 50l into fermentors.

True. You can gravity feed. My rough estimate for a 3 tier gravity feed to the fermentor puts the HLT at least 5ft off the ground. For me, I have a very low tolerance for risk. The volumes of hot liquid needed for double batches are quite dangerous. A pump removes a lot of that risk

Cheers
Andrew.

Can I clarify something, I'm in a similar position though I'm after a stainless kettle not aluminium. I do, and want to be doing, 45L batches. Now I've heard the figure of 10% shrinkage during cooling thrown around. That'd imply I need 50L coming out of the kettle at the end of the boil. I assume you're going to lose like 8Lish an hour from evaporation during the boil, so that'd mean to get a 45L batch out the end I'd need 62L not counting the wort absorbed by the hops or lost in dead space. Am I going to get away with a 70L kettle doing that, or am I going to have to get a 98L kettle?

I'm talking about beerbelly's stainless kettles here

Can I clarify something, I'm in a similar position though I'm after a stainless kettle not aluminium. I do, and want to be doing, 45L batches. Now I've heard the figure of 10% shrinkage during cooling thrown around. That'd imply I need 50L coming out of the kettle at the end of the boil. I assume you're going to lose like 8Lish an hour from evaporation during the boil, so that'd mean to get a 45L batch out the end I'd need 62L not counting the wort absorbed by the hops or lost in dead space. Am I going to get away with a 70L kettle doing that, or am I going to have to get a 98L kettle?

I'm talking about beerbelly's stainless kettles here

I can do a 50 litre batch in my 70 litre ss Robinox but you have to keep an eye on it. I would go for the next size up.

TP

I personally think that you go with the smallest pot that will do everything you want it too... so if you are making mostly single batches but want to be "able" to do a double batch, then I'd go a 60L pot (and just have bought one for that exact same reason) BUT if you are planning on doing mainly double batches, then I'd go nearer to 80L.

A smaller pot allows you flexibility with your cooling method, reduces your evaporation rates, is easier to handle and store, needs a less large and robust stand and is probably (even if only a little) cheaper as well. Things like your evaporation rate flow through to other areas of your brewery, if you have a 100L pot and boil off a crapload of water.. then if you want to do a 90min boil, is your HLT big enough, are you going to have to put so much sparge water through that your pH will get too high?

So peer into the future and plan for your intended brewing habits. Allow your self the ability to do everything you want... but don't necessarily optimise your system for the things you might only do occasionally

Thirsy Dude said:
So peer into the future and plan for your intended brewing habits. Allow your self the ability to do everything you want... but don't necessarily optimise your system for the things you might only do occasionally.

Bing!, right on the money. Like the fellows who up the top-end performance in their cars with hot cams, and are surprised when its a total b!tch to take the thing down to the shops because its gutless until 7 grand comes up on the tach.

Same applies to brewing, as you said. Why get a 100L pot if you're only going to be doing single batches and are only thinking about possibly considering the option of a double batch?

Another thing to consider is your method of heating - is it going to able to cope with a larger amount of wort/water/whatever? Theres no point in having a 100L pot with a 2-ring burner that won't bring a double batch to the boil. Conversely, starting out with a larger burner isn't a bad idea if you are using a 'temporary' pot that you may upsize on. I have a three-ring 9kW LPG burner and am now sourcing a pot to sit atop it - I don't think I'll go bigger than 80L.

Cheers - boingk

Same applies to brewing, as you said. Why get a 100L pot if you're only going to be doing single batches and are only thinking about possibly considering the option of a double batch?

Another thing to consider is your method of heating - is it going to able to cope with a larger amount of wort/water/whatever? Theres no point in having a 100L pot with a 2-ring burner that won't bring a double batch to the boil. Conversely, starting out with a larger burner isn't a bad idea if you are using a 'temporary' pot that you may upsize on. I have a three-ring 9kW LPG burner and am now sourcing a pot to sit atop it - I don't think I'll go bigger than 80L.

I cant even remember the last time I did a batch smaller than 40L, so single batches arent really an issue. Burner's not going to be an issue, getting an italian spiral burner to go with it. I guess I'll save the extra $60 and get the bigger pot.

Latest posts

Back