All grain set up on a budget

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thisispants

Reaction score
I'm currently brewing small batches in a 19L big w pot....biab style, and I want to step it up to a proper all grain set up.... However I'm really poor!

I've been looking at the Kmart jackeroo coolers which are quite cheap, had anyone used one of these? It's fits the budget nicely!

Also, in terms of large pots and burners, what are my options? Anyone sourced a super cheap but decent pot or burner?

In general terms you can get super cheap big pots on eBay - currently there are crappy quality 56l ones going for around $50. As always you get what you pay for.

Alternatively look at a second-hand purchase to get something quality at an affordable price.

keg, 3 ring burner, adjustable reg from Hong Kong on ebay, stand for said burner made from an old 4WD wheel and some angle iron, swiss voile for a BIAB bag
Voila!
I think my setup was around $150 including the bits and pieces to make the pickup tube and tap

Some Asian grocers will have 40-50 L aluminium pots for as little as $50. I bought one once, lasted a couple of years then basically corroded/gave way at the tap section. It was quite thin. For around $90, I bought a 4mm (at least twice as thick) 40L pot from Cedar Hospitality in Brunswick - much sturdier and a much better investment.

Depends a lot on your budget - mine has never been large by most standards - yours might be comparable or smaller. If you can legally acquitre a 50 L keg, you can make your own sturdy, stainless kettle.

manticle said:
Some Asian grocers will have 40-50 L aluminium pots for as little as $50.
An Asian grocer in Footscray has these at the moment. Ideal for BIAB as they have built in colander type things to keep the bag from burning.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1410922845.094492.jpgImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1410922864.661433.jpg

Interesting, I'll check out the Asian grocer. They're aluminum right ? Is it necessary to drill a hole and insert a tap into the pot?

You could do this.

I'm not saying that it's the most labour effective method, but if you're looking for cheap, it'll do the trick, especially if you can requisition some regular household items into the fray, without needing to alter them (so your esky can still be used for your BBQ and for brewing).

Second hand 40L urn. All in one ready to go... (30L would work)

Interesting, I'll check out the Asian grocer. They're aluminum right ? Is it necessary to drill a hole and insert a tap into the pot?
Aluminium yes. If you want stainless, you will pay although Craftbrewer had a great deal on 70L SS pots from memory - possibly predrilled*.

A tap will make life much easier.

*http://www.craftbrewer.com.au/shop/details.asp?PID=4246

beercus said:
Second hand 40L urn. All in one ready to go... (30L would work)
I think this would be best value for money whilst also providing an easy upgrade path. Later down the track grab a grainfather and your well down the path of well controlled AG brewing and all around $1200, to start the urn you should be able to grab for around $200. Pick your upgrade path and slowly save and build toward it.

MB

My 2 bobs..... aluminium is better with gas. More even heat therefore less chance of scorching, cheaper and easier to drill.

Oh and a good tip is to visit the local auction house occasionally, the bargains to be had at times are ridiculous! My 36l urn was $60 and only needed a light clean.

Check out the Asian shops in footscray for sure. My 100l stainless was $50 from a place called "ming ming". my whole system including stand from bunnings came in at around $300. Im using the cheap esky from Kmart, kettle elements a small brown pump. I brew about once a month and it works a treat.

1411163292476.jpg

Back