All Grain Brewers - Yeast Poll

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

When brewing beer

• I always use dry yeast

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I always use dry yeast but have used liquid before

• I use dry yeast mostly but use liquid yeast for some specialty styles

• I use dry both types fairly evenly

• I use liquid mostly but dry sometimes

• I only use liquid yeast

• I harvest my own yeast starting with dry

• I harvest my own yeast starting with liquid

• I harvest my own yeast from both sources

• Total voters
I might sometimes buy it dry, but it's always liquid when it hits the wort...

I ticked - "I use dry yeast mostly but use liquid yeast for some specialty styles"
but I also do harvest some yeasts in a farm. CPA, 3068 and a couple more.

I might sometimes buy it dry, but it's always liquid when it hits the wort...

Just so there's no confusion, this is a poll asking in what form you source it from. If you buy a packet of Safale US05 dry yeast, rehydrate it, pitch it, then it's still counted as dry yeast.

At present im using more dry, but i do prefer liquids for special beers. I mostly brew ales, and US05 is such a great yeast. Also i just did my first lager in a while so S189 was what i used. Great yeast as well.

Though next up is a kolsch with 2565, and im waiting on some Thames valley ale from Ross. Mmmmmmmm.

By the way just for interests sake, does anyone regularly use liquid yeasts for just one batch and not reculture / reuse?

It might be the Scottsman in me but I find it a bit pricey to just use a liquid yeast once.

My usual approach is to reculture, sometimes from a dry and sometimes from a liquid, and at times from a stubby from the bottlo, one of my preferred methods as you get to drink the surplus!

By the way just for interests sake, does anyone regularly use liquid yeasts for just one batch and not reculture / reuse?

Chappo puts his hand up...

With the wild yeast problems I had last year (touch wood none since) only fresh yeast can used around my place. I have thrown a brew directly onto the cake successfully but I need to be super careful if doing so.

Chap Chap

Its yeast off slants for me. Most of my slants started as liquid but a couple (especially the wine strains) started as dry.

I had my first ever infected starter a couple of weeks ago. Fortunately I tasted it before I pitched it. All my tubes of 005 were infected. Must have had a problem with my master. I had to buy another original to restart my cultures and that's the first beer yeast I have purchased in 5 years.

Cheers
Dave

Ahh what's a slant?

good_yeast.JPG

thanks for that. What's that thing about a picture and 1000 words? I can see some research beckonning...

I think there'll be a day in the future when I make slants as well. Have read up on it a bit.

At the moment I use dry yeast and don't do any harvesting. I've used liquid yeast before but it's a bit expensive if you're not going to use it for multiple batches.

Does anyone specifically avoid dry yeasts like Safale US05 because you feel the dry yeast is inferior (to a liquid equivalent) and you'd notice the different in teh end result?

I picked liquid mostly but dry sometimes. It really depends on what I'm making. If I'm making a beer that requires specific esters like a Belgian style or English style I tend to use liquid. I mainly reculture my liquids, mostly by top cropping, sometimes from slurry but I've just started splitting new packs when I buy them. I just pour a bit off into a couple of test tubes with boiled, cooled water and fridge them so I can start a bit of a library.

If I'm making something that needs a clean yeast I just use 05 which I very ocassionally reculture from slurry. White wine dried yeast for my cider and tiny experimental white wine batch.

Liquid all the way. Used dry yeast once in the past 2 years and that was on a yeast experiment.
Usually split the original pack into about 4 (sometimes 6 if I use that strain regularly) containers. Use each container once (I'll only repitch if I'm going to a much higher gravity batch), once they're gone, buy another pack/vial/jar.

I make a 2 to 3 litre starter for ales, and 5 litres for lagers, from a fresh pack or tube of liquid yeast.
The starter beer gets poured off, and I add a little pre-boiled cooled water.
This is then agitated to suspend the yeast in the small amount of water.
3 or 4 slants are filled, labeled, and stored in the fridge.
The rest of the starter is pitched.

I tend not to save further slants from the built up slant starter, but buy fresh packs or tubes. I reckon 4 to 5 brews from one fresh liquid yeast is enough for me.

Mainly dry yeast, but at the moment I appear to be making english style ales (milds and bitters) so I am top cropping a liquid yeast and using that for them.

Slants from liquid yeast for me. If I have another batch of a similar style ready to ferment I might reuse a yeast cake too.

I use dry yeast for wine/cider/mead making though. Bought 1/2kg of EC-1118 and split it with my Dad. It's cheap enough that I couldn't be bothered with slants.

I used to use liquids religiously, but that was before i had 3 kids, and had time to stuff around with culturing it up, and splitting into 1st gen starters haha.

Being fairly n00b still I have only used dry yeasts, I have a couple packs of liquid yeasts for when it's their time (2 brews to go till I use the 3068). I have also made some slants which look healthy. I also do two brews in a row minimum with the same yeast so I can reuse the cake to be extra tight. Povo Uni days shining through :D

Latest posts

Back