All Extract Beck's Clone

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pandreas

Reaction score
I've always enjoyed a Beck's beer and have decided that for my next brew I will attempt an all extract clone. I think i just want to make a nice, unoffensive quaffing beer and the weather is just perfect for attempting my first ferment with a lager yeast.

Having read a some of the threads that touched on Beck's K&K recipes I have come up with the following:

3.5kg Light LME
200g Crystal Malt
30g hallertau @ 60mins (bittering)
10g hallertau @ 2mins (aroma)
saflager yeast

Does anyone have an opinion on how this recipe will come out or any improvements that might be made? I am unsure if I should use a little Saaz for flavouring as some Beck's clones have included this in the recipe.

Are there any other specialty grains I should consider using?

All opinions and posts on this will be very much appreciated! :party:

For the grain you could swap to some carapils, if you do go with the crystal malt get the lightest possible.
Best way to go though if your using a bit of grain is do a small mash of a kilo of pilsner malt for this beer.

Crystal malt is not used in such a beer but it still will make a decent beer as is, could double this finishing hops also. The bittering addition you should calculate for IBU as to the amount.

I've used 20 to 25 g of Halletau to bitter 1.5 kg of extract in kit plus extract brews; so this looks way too short on IBU's. jayse is giving you a hint rather than the answer, but 3.5 kg of malt might need more bittering than this.

Learn how to calculate your own IBU, but I reckon at least double what you've got.

Ok... point taken regarding IBU's, I will definately do some calculations to achieve the correct bitterness. Can you help with regards to what IBU figure I should try to achieve??

I think a mini-mash is still a bit beyond my capabilities, I don't have the equipment (eg thermometer) and to tell the thruth, still don't know enough about the mashing/sparging process.

Just want to get my head around all extract brews. I am realistic in that my beer won't be anywhere as light in colour as the commercial Beck's, but want to achieve similar flavour characteristics and 'crispness'.

Ok... point taken regarding IBU's, I will definately do some calculations to achieve the correct bitterness. Can you help with regards to what IBU figure I should try to achieve??

becks is 28 IBUs

or as Roger Protz would say, "packed with a redoubtable 28 IBUs"

Back