Ales Or Lagers

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mmmmmmmmmmmm belgian ales

Chimay blue type and golden strongs,,,triples

I put down a Belgian yeasterday Jaz. :) My own design.

This one will be "weak" enough to go in the keg. 1053

JW Pils malt 4.75 kg
Weymann Cara aroma 500 gms
Carafa Spec 1 90 gms
Wheat malt 200 gms

Styrian Goldings to 18 ibu
30 gms FWH
16 gms at start of boil

3787 was the yeast.

Ferment 20 -24 c

sounds good

my last belgian

Evil Golden Strong ale

A ProMash Recipe Report

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (L): 24.00 Wort Size (L): 24.00
Total Grain (kg): 7.50
Anticipated OG: 1.08228 Plato: 19.842
Anticipated EBC: 7.7
Anticipated IBU: 31.0
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75 %
Wort Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Formulas Used
-------------

Brewhouse Efficiency and Predicted Gravity based on Method #1, Potential Used.
Final Gravity Calculation Based on Points.
Hard Value of Sucrose applied. Value for recipe: 46.2100 ppppg
% Yield Type used in Gravity Prediction: Fine Grind Dry Basis.

Color Formula Used: Morey
Hop IBU Formula Used: Rager

Additional Utilization Used For Plug Hops: 0 %
Additional Utilization Used For Pellet Hops: 10 %

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential EBC
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
73.3 5.50 kg. Weyermann Pilsner Germany 317.420 4
16.7 1.25 kg. Cane Sugar Generic 386.000 0
6.7 0.50 kg. JWM Wheat Malt Australia 334.126 4
3.3 0.25 kg. Weyermann Vienna Germany 317.420 7

Potential represented as IOB- HWE ( L / kg ).

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
30.00 g. Styrian Goldings NZ Pellet 5.70 20.2 60 min.
15.00 g. Nelson Sauvin Pellet 12.70 7.6 20 min.
20.00 g. Saaz B Pellet 7.00 3.3 10 min.

Yeast
-----

WYeast 1762 Belgian Abbey II

Darren, I have done many lagers.Its not a problem with style,but time constraints.

I enjoy the Tapestry of an ale,just as much as the subtle nuance of a lager.

I am just about to go all LAGER,temps are good now for apa's and my Belgium's can please themselves temp wise :p

Cheers

Jazman,wouldn't 1388 be a better choice for a Duvel clone?;)

Both...the staple is Ales as they are easy to ferment. Like Kook, I tend to do my Lagers in Winter so the fridge doesn't bust a nut keeping the temps.
The good part is I can store the Lagers in Cubes in the back of the keg fridge until summer. Unfortunately I can only keep one at the moment, but there's a new chest freezer out there with me credit card number on it :p

I'd stick to the meaty Lagers though, brewing a Helles doesn't create much excitement.

I enjoy the breadth of flavors ales bring to the glass, but on a hot day, a smooth lager is hard to beat.

Even if you don't have a full size fridge, you can do what I do and make a lagering box:
lager_box.jpg

lager_box_inside.jpg

Even if you don't have a full size fridge, you can do what I do and make a lagering box:

I was wondering what to do with the little freezer I have. It has it's pipes thru the shelves, so no room to put a fermenter in. Cheers! :beer:

I was wondering what to do with the little freezer I have. It has it's pipes thru the shelves, so no room to put a fermenter in. Cheers! :beer:
Right, just take the door off it and mate it to a foam box like this. It's not very sophisticated and doesn't get it much below 7C, but it is cheap and makes for a great environment for secondarying ales.

Ales, mainly because I'm lazy and can't wait for a lager. I make a steam beer, which is a bit of an impatient's man's lager :p

I am truly fortunate, having access to a coolroom.

My asst brewer says four weeks, I say six. The pilsner we made is clearing nicely.

Who is the bunny then?

Happy Easter!

WJ

milpod hbs didnt have 1388 at the time and wasnt a duvel clone

Jaz with a name of ,Evil Golden Strong ale,And you dont think its a Duvel clone,I'll now cut off my balls

didnt know Moortgat brewery used nelson sauvin in there duvel

Nelson sauvin is not used in Wiessbier either,doesn't make it less a wiessbier.

Semantics,are just that.

no it is not meant to be a clone of Duvel as it was it would have different grain bill,and hop schedule ect plus the style of beer the belgian strong can be very close to a tripple .....So as far as im concerned it aint a clone nor do i try to clone beers rather brew the way i want and how close to or not to style i like

Combo of both here depending on temp. I don't have a fridge, rather a wardrobe at uni...so some of my clothes end up needing airing from time to time! :D

I like my ales because they are quick and easy and US-05 is my general yeast of choice for its clean end pallate.

Lagers are more satisfying in my opinion and I usually just use S-23 for them. 3kg X-tract kit with 15-20g Hallertau, anyone?

Lagers are good in summer when its stinking hot like a Czech pils

Belgian -- Lager ? Belgian -- Lager ? Belgian -- Lager ?

And :) Stella doesn't count

Belgian Ale for me. But I am notoriously lazy. I may occasionally brew a lager in winter.

Steve

An elderly bloke proclaimed to me last week that there's a better beer from the same country as Stella that's not Stella. With a blue label. "you're probably right", I told him, but he couldn't for the life of him remember what it was called or anything else about it. I'm presuming he was talking about a euro pale lager, does it ring any bells for anyone? He was put onto it by some Flemish blokes.

Oh and to keep this on topic - anyone in WA that needs a bigger fridge collection, and has tomorrow free, there's a catering auction at Ross' tomorrow in Maylands. Check it out.

An elderly bloke proclaimed to me last week that there's a better beer from the same country as Stella that's not Stella. With a blue label. "you're probably right", I told him, but he couldn't for the life of him remember what it was called or anything else about it. I'm presuming he was talking about a euro pale lager, does it ring any bells for anyone? He was put onto it by some Flemish blokes.

Oh and to keep this on topic - anyone in WA that needs a bigger fridge collection, and has tomorrow free, there's a catering auction at Ross' tomorrow in Maylands. Check it out.

Could it be Chimay Blue? cause thats a bloody nice drop

oh and ales, mostly because of laze but i find a light bodied pale ale with us-05 is almost as good as a lager for thirst quenching in summer

Latest posts

Back