Ale-ticpiation

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbirbeck

Reaction score
This is a heads up for a competition that will be happening over the next couple of months...

Ale-ticipation
The act of looking forward to having your beer brewed by a microbrewery.

Thanks to the support of Beard & Brau Brewery its been possible to put together this competition. Broad details are below and further details are to follow as we finalise things. Hopefully it's something you want to get involved in.

What is involved? well you prepare you best full or part mash UK style ale between 3 and 7% and send it in for the competition. Each entrant gets a case of the winning beer, and the opportunity to come along to the release party where the beer will be available on tap at a popular location here in SA. Its a great opportunity to work with someone in the industry.

What if you win?
well on top of your right to a case for entering, you get three cases of the brew...the brew that you designed, a very special one-off unique beer release. You get to work with the brewers at Beard & Brau to develop your recipe for commercial production, you get to go along to the brewery to get involved in the process from start to finish, your beer is on tap at the release party and available for sale as a limited release of Beard & Brau and of course the sheer pleasure of winning.

Second place will get two cases of the winning beer on top of their entry case and third one case.

When? Entries in during July/August for judging shortly after. September/October to do the brewing for release shortly after that. Details are yet to be finalised but I'll be sure to let you know as we go along. Dates may vary slightly but get cracking now.

How much? The plan is for a $55 entry fee that includes a case of the winning beer. Pretty good value for some top notch beer.

Start refining those great UK ale recipes and get ready for Ale-ticipation 2010.

Sign me up mate.

Cracking idea.

Chances of a Smurto Golden Ale in production maybe!? :icon_drunk:

Hell yes! :beerbang:

Just kegged the latest version of my Landlord and have plenty of WY1469 from top cropping and yeastcakes.

Guess i will be brewing english ales for the foreseeable future..

If i must :icon_drunk:

This sounds quite tempting. hmmm, need to work on a recipe.

are English brown ales ok? i'm going through a brown ale phase...

This sounds quite tempting. hmmm, need to work on a recipe.

are English brown ales ok? i'm going through a brown ale phase...

Yep Browns are in...anything from the UK although the 7% alc limit will rule out those Barleywines. Bitters, Milds, stouts, browns, porters IPA's, scottish and irish ales.

Is there any sort of geographically restriction? For those of us on the western side of the country ;)

The bells are on already for this one.....!!!!!

Is there any sort of geographically restriction? For those of us on the western side of the country ;)

Nope, no restrictions; open to all...but if you win you'll have to make your own way over to participate in the fun bit.

In the odd chance that I win, I think I can handle that :p

Anyone going to shoot for the low end of the ABV range? Maybe a full flavoured midstrength to satisfy the thirst of all them old boys out there :p

Anyone going to shoot for the low end of the ABV range? Maybe a full flavoured midstrength to satisfy the thirst of all them old boys out there :p

Nothing better than a well made mild...I'd enter one.

out of interest, who will be judging? and what will be the criteria they judge on?

What if you enter 2 beers? Will it be $110 ($55 each beer and include 2 cases) or $55 plus fee for second entry (say additional $5??) and only include 1 case? I should have 2 beers ready by then, but living up in QLD will mean shipping 2 cartons could be pricey.

What if you enter 2 beers? Will it be $110 ($55 each beer and include 2 cases) or $55 plus fee for second entry (say additional $5??) and only include 1 case? I should have 2 beers ready by then, but living up in QLD will mean shipping 2 cartons could be pricey.

I think its $55 per entry as I understand, but leave the final say to RK.

Best to submit just your best beer imo. :icon_cheers:

out of interest, who will be judging? and what will be the criteria they judge on?

Judges haven't yet been finalised but Chris from Beard & Brau will certainly be involved. The criteria is broadly the quality of the brew. It comes down to whether the beer impresses the judges palate. Best of Show type judging as its not about how the beers match up against a particular style in the BJCP but how they compare to each other.

Two beers is two entries so $110, but you get two cases of the winner at the end of it too.

Sounds very interesting and right up my alley. :)

Can I just clarify, do you want a full case of one batch submitted for judging? Or just a couple of PETs?

Figure the cases come from the commercial brewing of the recipe - otherwise you'd have to submit a case for every other contestant.

If it is a case I might not be able to participate.

The case comes from the brewery...one of the benefits of entering - you get a case of the winning beer.

We are just finalising the volume required for judging but it would likely that it is 3 long necks or equivalent (glass or PET).

Can I assume that as it's a competition for the best UK beer that the case will be 12 x 500ml bottles. (UK beer dons't come in little bottles)

Also 2.25L of beer is 5 bottles as I only bottle in metric pints. That's a hassel to ship. Why not make it 1 litre like most other comps?

BOG

Latest posts

Back