Alcohol Intake

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some hard words there Gryphon brewer.

It has been proven that drinking alcohol on daily basis is not good for you a thousand times or more.

Having one standard drink a day and then a couple of extra on weekends I would say is neither beneficial or bad for your health.

What is bad for you is not exercising enough, eating saturated fats and getting hot tempered because we discussing such things on a brew forum :p

BTW I drink too much, eat too much and don't exercise enough......
Matti

And the realistic intake of alcohol is closer to 2 standard drinks per day.
Say's who? This years scientist looking for a government grant?

2 drinks a day.

Jeez, what a load of crap!

Maybe six drinks a day is the relevant amount if you are interested in SHORTENING your LIFE by a statistically relevant amount, which I think is what those insurance types would really be interested in. The limit at which OTHER damage occurs could be much much lower. They don't care if you have dementia or gut problems, cause you're still alive (and if the former sets in, you might even forget you have a policy, better still for them!)

I wouldn't base my lifestyle around what my insurance company says though, they're only in it to make money, not take care of you.

Meh! I brew and I drink because I enjoy it. Simple. If have 6 I have 6. I probably only drink twice to 3 times a week. Friday nights are my session nights I'm not going to change that ever! Life too short to be sweating it IMO...

Like I said you are spreading the message for free.Do you know any one who has been sued?
TTTFO is the new acro.Tell Them to **** Off with this policy.If you want to get shit faced at my place and walk out in front of a train, good luck to you, but its not my doing.
GB

I'll drink to those sentiments GB. But I reckon youse should drink at my place. The train terminates some 140klm north ! More chance getting hit by a speeding kangaroo !

Drink what you want, when you want. Just be responsible for the consequences, whatever and whenever they may be. No excuses.

In some ways I agree with some of what has been said... these safe guidelines are a "Cover Yer Arse" move... it is not explicitly known what kind of alcohol consumption leads to what, and having a risk does not imply it will happen. These guidelines are so restrictive, and they know that. My interpretation of it is:

"Drink what you want, whether it be < 2 drinks per day (on average, I'm below this), < 6 drinks per day, or go hard day in, day out. If the proverbial excrement hits the fan though, don't come crying to us. We told you so!"

Edit: Indeed, fats!

I've always wondered what physiological basis these guidelines are based around... It's obviously not the same for 6'4", 120kg Joe Bloggs and little ol' (lean and mean) 5'7", 56kg Adam.

Great minds think alike Adam. Maybe we are twins seperated at birth.

Except I am 5'11 140kg and about 25 years older ! :rolleyes:

Clearly in a drinking session with Adam consuming the same amount of beer, I, with more blood flowing through the system, will have a relatively lower blood alcohol reading than the smaller man. Read the australian vernacular " I will hold my piss better than he can". However size does not imply my internal organs will cope better with the alcohol than him, nor that in the long term the alcohol I consume will have less effect on my body than his simply cos I could "hold my piss."

Truth be told, I don't care what damage life has on my body. Twenty years in the front row didn't help my body much (or my looks). I had rump steak for tea last night and two longnecks of HB. I could be dead tomorrow or live another 30 years .. ce sera sera. What you won't find is me looking at blaming anyone other than myself if my passion for beer has something to do with my demise. And you won't see me filling out life insurance forms ! :lol:

It's fair to say that insurance companies base their calculations for life insurance (and death disability etc etc) on economic models. The assumption is not that six beers a day is fine and won't hurt you, it's that the number of people they insure who are at risk of a pre term payment because of drinking six beers a day is very low. You're only dollar signs to them at the end of the day.

cheers

grant

Some hard words there Gryphon brewer.

It has been proven that drinking alcohol on daily basis is not good for you a thousand times or more.

Having one standard drink a day and then a couple of extra on weekends I would say is neither beneficial or bad for your health.

What is bad for you is not exercising enough, eating saturated fats and getting hot tempered because we discussing such things on a brew forum :p

BTW I drink too much, eat too much and don't exercise enough......
Matti
Huh I only drink 2-3 days a week, exercise every day and am a vegetarian.Checkmate!And dont take subjects like this as aggravation more of an annoyance.Look out or I may sue you. :D
GB

I'll drink to those sentiments GB. But I reckon youse should drink at my place. The train terminates some 140klm north ! More chance getting hit by a speeding kangaroo !

Drink what you want, when you want. Just be responsible for the consequences, whatever and whenever they may be. No excuses.
At last a sensible post! Another free thinker/drinker.
GB

Talking about drinks GB..... Clancy's tonight, now I know trains don't scare you.....

Katie :rolleyes:

There's always a sub current of wowserism going on in Australia. This surprised me on arrival here in the 70s because we had been told that Australia was a heavy drinking culture - Barry McKenzie, the Darwin beer can regatta, etc. Instead I found a subset of working men and tradies, mostly, drinking little seven ounce beers after work but nowhere to take the Mrs and the dog for a quiet pint, as millions of fellow poms did. Any hint of enjoying wine got you labelled as a derro who obviously had flagons of Brandivino hidden all over the house.

Then during the 80s and 90s drinking laws and attitudes loosened up and suddenly people were buying cases of Merlot and Cabernet Shiraz and Liquorlands were springing up on every street corner.

The wowsers seem to be getting the upper hand again. They should take a good look at the many countries where alcohol is banned and see what it's like there. Suicide bombers, Taliban, public floggings .... I reckon they should make them all drink for a while and suddenly the world would lighten up for them and they would realise that life really is worth living. It's undoubtedly the lack of alcohol that makes them so angry, spiteful and shit serious about themselves. Sums up the wowsers as well.

<true story> About 15 yrs ago I had a brief spell in real estate. We had a Jehovah's Witness family who had listed a six bedroom house and this was sought after at a time when most homes were 3 bedders. They also had a huge shed out the back. One afternoon I was showing some people round the house and the lady of the house who was doing her embroidery and Bible reading at the same time like a perfect little Jehovahs lady, said that her husband was out the back with some of the elders having a prayer meeting so please knock on the shed door before inspecting. On knocking, the door opened, closed, sounds of shuffling from inside, then we were invited in. About fifteen guys sitting around sheepishly with bibles and in the corners, under tool benches, behind shelving etc were a couple of dozen half finished tallies and empties :lol: </true story>

Wowsers aint wowsers. :p

My old fathers favourite saying was "wowsers havent got a clue how sick you can get and still not die"

My old fathers favourite saying was "wowsers havent got a clue how sick you can get and still not die"

I believe it was Lyndon Johnson who said: "I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning that's the best they'll feel all day."

Cant be arsed reading this whole thread as it comes up far too often...

Ethanol is a poison to our bodies. End of argument. Its a drug, its just one that is legal like caffeine.

End of story.

I love ethanol. :chug:

I am going to die of something. As will my tee totalling mother and my non beer drinking father. Both my mothers parents died in their early 50s. One in a car accident and one from lung cancer (and never smoked). From what i have been told they hardly ever drank ethanol.

Its life. Build a big arse bridge, get over it and get back to brewing.

To delude yourself that a few drinks a day is healthy or even good for you amuses me greatly.

DrSmurto - realist. :beer:

Ethanol is a poison...

but it is healthier to drink a little ethanol than it is to drink none at all...

While I can't quote exact sources, I recall a bartender who after a shift went to another bar, got maggot and beat up a cabbie, sued said bar for the damages the cabbie sued him for....

You can have your "not my issue" attitude, but the fact is these days, dumb arse retards are awarded big money on cases where they simply should known better, anyone remember that drunk dude who sued a council after diving into water at a beach and making myself a quadriplegic thanks to hitting a sandbank........

Court found the council should have placed signs there...

Yeah, I remember that, if it`s the same one, it was on the Gold Coast.
Not long after, another bloke got blind and got hit by a car and sued the pub. Don`t know the uotcome tho.

stagga.
{be funny if it was the same bloke both times} :lol:

Man, is this interesting to me after haing done a Crim Justice degree and having doctors for parents! HA!

On the legal matter, in NSW you are wholly responsible for your actions after an intake of alcohol. This assumes that you knew you were drinking it (ie didn't have your drink spiked), otherwise you may have a reasonable chance of leniance if not total dismissal. Why are you totally responsible, even if you are mentally and possibly physically altered from your normal state? Because you drank the alcohol and you knew what the effects would, or were likely to, be. No-one forced you or coerced you, you drank it. End of story.

The issue of RSA as far as I am concerned will not diminish your responsibility in such a matter as pertaining to charges, but costs associated with those charges may be deferred to the premises that served you, if it is deemed that they were in breach of RSA, in which case they would be fined anyway. I'm not 100% on this but I'm fairly sure that is how it works, I'm not sure of the precendent for this kind of thing.

Healthwise, I'd say 1~2 standards a day is the medical recommendation, andthe most that can be taken without impacting on health long term. Long term, here, means anything from 20 to 60 years down the track. I'd say the sticker on my fridge sums it up well, it was in a uni pack I was given in my first year along with all sorts of fun stuff like counceling info, health care provider info, a map of the uni and town, and even 'protection' (this last one no longer included because somone got offended. I'd be a hell of a lot more offended if somone ended up with an STI, personally).

Back to the sticker, its entitled 'Low Risk Drinking' and is from the Southern Area Health Service, citing National Guidelines for Adults. It says that, on average, men may have up to 4 drinks per day, women up to 2. An occasional maximum of no more than 6 standard drinks may be consumed in day, with women having an occasional maximum of 4. 1 or 2 alcohol-free days per week are recommended, with 'high low-risk drinkers' (ie those drinking the max recommended 4 per day) advised to do this no more than three times per week.

Whew. That was a bundle. I say do what you want and be prepared for any consequences that may resolve from your actions or lack thereof. This goes for anything, pretty much. So drink, eat, and be merry (but only if you want!).

Cheers all - boingk

pollux said:
anyone remember that drunk dude who sued a council after diving into water at a beach and making myself a quadriplegic thanks to hitting a sandbank........

Court found the council should have placed signs there...
Yes, I do remember that case.

I also remember that the council had placed signs there, and pledged that its costs be offset. The appeal was considered, and it was eventually found that the fellow who sued the council was at fault, and ordered to repay the council $1.3 million.

F***ing SNAP!!!

Latest posts

Back