Air

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NME69

Reaction score
Hey there brewers got a question for you all.

The question is this. When I'm taking readings with my hydrometer I'm opening the tap at the bottom to fill the plastic test tube with my brew, which seems like the easiest way to do it.

I'm not sure that is a question...

sorr y about that this is a continuation from the thread above.

When i get about half way filling up the test tube, it's sucking in air back into the brewer. This cant be good for my brew can it?

Ahhh yes, you can either pull the airlock out whilst you take a reading, or unscrew the lid to break the seal. Either way some air will get in, but these ways you won't risk entraining some airlock liquid in.

or use sanitiser in the airlock. I do this, and I also suck in it into pretty much every brew I've ever done and I don't have a problem with infections or anything...

I used vodka for a while, but then I ran out of vodka (a few of my friends for some reason thought I liked vodka and bought me a few bottles for my 21st... I don't like vodka). I now don't use an airlock.

If you are married or de-factoed, and if you are worried about bugs getting back in through the airlock, pull the airlock out and immediately plug it with a porous COTTON WOOL BALL. Of course guys have never in their lives ever bought a cotton wool ball, but ladies have them by the thousand.

This should prevent any (remote) possibility of infection.

In any case so long as you have not bumped or rocked the fermenter whilst taking the hydro reading, CO2 is heavier than air and forms a blanket over the surface of the wort, so oxidation won't be a problem either, as any oxygen introduced into the upper void of the fermenter during the reading will be quickly flushed.

cheers

Micheal

Or the next step up is one of those sanitary air filters (i know craftbrewer has these, dunno who else) - im pretty sure they fit airlock grommets, and they allow air both ways, so CO2 going out isnt a problem, and if it sucks back in, well its through a sanitary air filter so should be alright.

No Chill, No Carb, No Hydro! :chug:

One less thing to go wrong.

InCider.

Latest posts

Back