Air Lock Liquid

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ivan Other One

Reaction score
Hi Brewers,
are any of you using anything other than water in your air locks? Have heard of some folk using a line cleaner solution

Cheers Ivan. :chug:

Some people use cheap vodka, others use no rinse sanitiser...

If some line cleaner got sucked back into the fermenter the results could be disappointing.

Thanks guys. So far I have just used water but next time will give the vodka a go,,,,,,,, if I can get it away from the cook.

normally use filtered water , but have used no rinse iodophor before , dunno that line cleaner is a good option , vodka sounds like a goer though

whenever i prop my fermenter, havethe airlock and grommet in the iodophor solution. I somply shae te airlock around in it and 'catch some' pour out the excess and away you go. cleaner than using water IMO especially if it gets sucked back into the fermenter. Stagnent water or no rinse sanitising solution... you be the judge.

Have always used dilluted iodophor in my airlocks. I prefer 3 piece airlocks which allow you to remove the lid to add more iodophor during long ferments, and recap. The 2 remaining pieces (less lid) keep the vessel airlocked wheres a two piece (or 1 piece!) airlock does not allow this.

The reality is, you could have a secondary 2 piece airlock and bung ready & filled with a fresh iodophor solution and quickly swap them over with no ill effect.

Vodka is also a great idea, but I don't always have a bottle of vodka around the house :D

reVox

Pull the seal out from the lid, and discard it....screw the lid on.....get a shot glass, and put it (upside down) over the airlock hole (which has had the nasty, old rubber grommett pulled out and discarded). Problem solved.

Everyone will be happy to know that no kittens were harmed in the writing of this post. :lol:

Wrong butters.... :p

Buy some wide clingwrap, remove the lid from the fermenter, remove the rubber seal, place cling wrap over the top of the fermenter, use seal as giant rubber band, jobs done.

I use Starsan or vodka in my airlocks.

All these "no airlock" posts are great - but no use if you're storing beers like plambic or flanders red for an extended period of time. Cockroaches or fruitflies *will* get through the little gaps once primary fermentation is finished and there is no gas pressure to stop them.

I'm slowly switching over to one way valves which I think are a great compromise.

edit: I should clarify something - I'm referring only to placing bottle caps, shot glasses etc over the hole, not using cling film or foil, provided it isn't pierced.

Sorry Pollox,

I prefer Butters method, in the aid of saving the planet (by reducing clingfilm waste) and saving those poor poor kittens! :D

I use water in mine. Sometimes I've just glad wrapped the lid. No problems yet.

While the airlock seems unnecessary, I have one for each fermenter so I just use them. No harm done. If a drop of water has fallen in one of my brews, I can't say I've ever noticed.

get a fermenter "canoe drum" from a camping store, remove rubber ring, no hole or grommet to worry about.
Cheers

I use rainwater in my airlock, once fermentation has kicked off minimal things to concern yourself over it though imo.

I sometimes use no rinse sanitiser.

My current brew is in 3G's fridge, hence his method! ;)

I tried Starsan when I switched to it as my sanitiser but found my airlocks empty after the Starsan had bubbled/frothed away to nothing.

I tried Starsan when I switched to it as my sanitiser but found my airlocks empty after the Starsan had bubbled/frothed away to nothing.

I use Starsan. I've never had any problem with it disappearing.

All these "no airlock" posts are great - but no use if you're storing beers like plambic or flanders red for an extended period of time. Cockroaches or fruitflies *will* get through the little gaps once primary fermentation is finished and there is no gas pressure to stop them.

I'm slowly switching over to one way valves which I think are a great compromise.

edit: I should clarify something - I'm referring only to placing bottle caps, shot glasses etc over the hole, not using cling film or foil, provided it isn't pierced.

I prefer to age beer in a secondary with no airlock hole. Pain in the ass, they are.

Interesting. Never seen these! Looks like a great solution for cold crashing where suck back is inevitable. I use a closed bung at crashing, covered in glad wrap.. and ever so gently relieve pressure at completion to 3C or whatever.

The problem I find with bungs in Australia is they don't fit my glass carboys and I can't get a bloody #7 to save my life. From morebeer:
_7.jpg

#7 measures 30mm bottom, 38mm top.. which works perfect.

The bottom of the dry airlock measures 38mm. Is this correct? Can you please try to squeeze one in the opening of a glass carboy (assuming you sell or use them) and report back? Silicon is certainly more forgiving than rubber.

Cheers,
reVox

Latest posts

Back