Air Lock Liquid

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I still use air lock and sterile water is enough.

Don't fill it above 1/way.
That way the liquid will not make it into brew if u have inverted pressure.
I used to use vodka but
Alcohol evaporates faster and it is waste of a good "shot".

Interesting. Never seen these! Looks like a great solution for cold crashing where suck back is inevitable. I use a closed bung at crashing, covered in glad wrap.. and ever so gently relieve pressure at completion to 3C or whatever.

The problem I find with bungs in Australia is they don't fit my glass carboys and I can't get a bloody #7 to save my life. From morebeer:
View attachment 26582

#7 measures 30mm bottom, 38mm top.. which works perfect.

The bottom of the dry airlock measures 38mm. Is this correct? Can you please try to squeeze one in the opening of a glass carboy (assuming you sell or use them) and report back? Silicon is certainly more forgiving than rubber.

Cheers,
reVox
I have a customer who uses glass carboys I will get him to give it a go as he has one of my dry airlock thermo well jobs.
GB

Pull the seal out from the lid, and discard it....screw the lid on.....get a shot glass, and put it (upside down) over the airlock hole (which has had the nasty, old rubber grommett pulled out and discarded). Problem solved.

Everyone will be happy to know that no kittens were harmed in the writing of this post. :lol:

ROFL! :lol:

Vodka if you must... Glad wrap is Chappo's MO, yeah?

I squirt some of my phosphoric no rinse in them. No probs if it gets sucked in that I know of.

Well Brewers, you have given me a lot of beer/food for thought.
So far have had no probs with the airlock water job, but will look into giving some of these ideas a go.

Thanks to all for your replys. :icon_cheers:

Back