Air Filter Thingy

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thunderchild

Reaction score
I bought the little air filter thingy that is supposed to attach to the pump when aerating the wort. I forgot to listen to the part about whch way it should be fitted. Does anybody knows if it matters what direction it faces in the airline?

If its the style craftbrewer sells, it should have an arrow on the outer rim.

If its the style craftbrewer sells, it should have an arrow on the outer rim.

Now that's what I thought and there is evidence of an arrow type thing without th pointy bit. It looks like a raised line which extends from the centre of the rim to the edge. I was thinking that that would indicate the direction?

Apologies...Not trying to hijack the thread as you have already bought the item, but I have a pump and airstone and followed a thread that I can't find anymore ... you can make a good filter by buying two cheapy 30 ml syringes from the chemist, pull out the plungers, and put the 'barrels' end to end, stuff with cotton wool and tape around. Bingo a barrel full of cotton wool with two narrow ends you can slide the airlines onto, about a dollar forty all up.

Apologies...Not trying to hijack the thread as you have already bought the item, but I have a pump and airstone and followed a thread that I can't find anymore ... you can make a good filter by buying two cheapy 30 ml syringes from the chemist, pull out the plungers, and put the 'barrels' end to end, stuff with cotton wool and tape around. Bingo a barrel full of cotton wool with two narrow ends you can slide the airlines onto, about a dollar forty all up.

Sounds like a good fix, but you don't get the same peace of mind that a proper gas filter gives you - I get almost manic about my sterilisation procedures, and would hate to cock the whole thing up by introducing a bunch of airborn bacteria. While the cotton wool would probably do a fine job scrubbing out any nasties, it's not the same as yet another bit of brew bling for us OCD types.

I bought the little air filter thingy that is supposed to attach to the pump when aerating the wort. I forgot to listen to the part about whch way it should be fitted. Does anybody knows if it matters what direction it faces in the airline?

Can be used either way round - Just ensure you always use the same way round & all will be good.

cheers ross

Back