Ahbers Catching Up With Zwickel 2009

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Screwtop

Inspectors Pocket Brewery
Reaction score
Was great to finally meet our brew mate Zwickel (and Frau Zwickel), Thank you for the beer and Margaret asked me to thank you again for the flowers. The company and beers were great and the girls overcame the language barrier with the help of Mrs Zwickels notebook translator chatting about lots of stuff. Which left us to talk brewing and beer for hours on end, just for a change :lol: Zwickel has a very simple approach to his brewing, he brews only the beers he likes to drink and says he only knows "good beer from bad beer". Brewing only Pils and Weizen plus a Corona style clone he has perfected his beers and brewing to the point where he is able to repeat brew without the need to constantly monitor every step of the process, that's confidence.

Had some cracker beers, began the day with a commercial Redoak Organic Hefeweizen (snuck that in before Batz arrived). The beer was described as ok but not a great example of the style by Zwickel and I found it a bit dissapointing too. Home brews followed, JoeG's Dortmunder was well received and Jay's Alt was popular, Zwickel and Mrs Zwickel thought it was very good (think Jay was a little pleased with that). I had a Golden Ale, Tony's LCBA and an IPA on tap, but the hit of the night was Batz Aussie Ale, with Mrs Zwickel and even Mrs Screwtop giving it the thumbs up, the keg was pretty light this morning eh Batz :) Jay surprised us with his Himbier which was really good and a bit of a surprise for Zwickel. Also his Belgian Strong Dark, which had an amazing aroma of raisin after warming up.

Tasting Jay's Himbier (the red coloured beer), Zwickel describing Himbier in Germany DSCF8480_Small.jpg

Girls will be girls, no stopping them talking with the help of the translator on Mrs Zwickels Notebook, oh and Zwickels glass is empty :) DSCF8482_Small.jpg

On the table in the background is an old Blowtorch with a Bat symbol on it, all the way from GermanyDSCF8481croptorch.jpg

Thanks again guys and gals for a really enjoyable time.

Screwy

Looks like it was a nice relaxing day, I'm sorry I missed out. Sounds like there were some awesome beers to taste as well as some great company.

Andrew

Its great to see the international beer comaradrie (sp?).
Cheers
Steve

Looks like it was a nice relaxing day, I'm sorry I missed out. Sounds like there were some awesome beers to taste as well as some great company.

Andrew

A bloody shame you couldn't be here Andrew, a great time, hope you can catch up with the Zwickels further North. Interesting hearing Zwickel's take on the beer scene in Germany not what we might think. And by the way Germans like nice Paw-paws :lol:

Screwy

What a great day it was ! Thanks so much Mr & Mrs Screwtop :icon_cheers: Wonderful the catch up with Mr and Mrs Zwickel at last, your a very interesting couple to talk to ,we all learned a few things about Germany we didn't know before. Fantastic to catch up with you again Jay,loved that Alt.

Sorry if I seemed a little more quiet than usual,that's the first day I've given my foot a work-out and I'm afraid it was rather painful,bloody thing's swollen up this arvo <_<

Fantastic beers all around,there's not many places you could go and get served beers of such a high standard ! Oh and what about coming home with a "Bat" brand German blow torch...life doesn't get much better than that :lol:

Batz

Latest posts

Back