AHB Wiki: Dry Hopping

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As it stands, it seems a fairly short article, PnC. :lol:

is there a way to get it back? I want to read it

try now

edit - could still be distilled into 1 sentence - adding dry hops to beer.

Here's a question:
What's the best for dry hopping? plugs, pellets or flowers?

I tend to use pellets, but that's mainly because there is more variety in pellets than plugs or flowers

how much do you usually dry hop with? 15g???? or does it depend on the hops?

I've always been told 1g/L.

At least, that's a good amount to start with. If you want more or less oompf, you can experiment from there.

1g/L is the rule of thumb, but it's not hard and fast- however, you would find that if you get lower, the difference isn't noticeable. Most people experiment by going up.

At What temp can you/do you dry hop?

Does it make a difference?

Not a great deal if any - I add at ferment temp for a few days & then chill down to 1c before kegging.

cheers Ross

I have to ask sorry never dried hopped before do you rack off to secondary to dry hop & how do you hang the bag of hops in there

If you were going to dry hop in the fermenter when is the best time to add it ?

If you were going to dry hop in the fermenter when is the best time to add it ?
Best time is apparently just as the krausen is starting to recede. This is because active fermentation is still occuring, so any CO2 layer disturbed by the addition of the dry hops should be replaced, but the majority of the "scrubbing" of flavour/aroma compounds from the hops will have completed.

Saying that, I just chuck mine in on day 4 of ferment, basically cause near enough is good enough for me, and I can't be bothered watching my krausen too often.

I normally add after 3 or 4 days. Just chuck the pellets in for a nice fresh hop flavour

Latest posts

Back