AHB Wiki: Dry Hopping

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I normally add after 3 or 4 days. Just chuck the pellets in for a nice fresh hop flavour

I have put a brew down yesterday, my 8th attempt in roughly 8 months of brewing.

coopers real ale,
1kg BE2 + 200g coopers brew sugar,
100g crystal malt (steeped 20min),
~10g cascade (steeped 15min)
~10g Sauvin (steeped 15min)
US 05 Yeast pitched at 28deg

I did not add the full 10g sachet of yeast, probably about 8grams of it.

Its fermenting away at 22-24deg.

I have a 12g bag of Sauvin finishing hops I am looking to add in another 2-3 days.

Would it be a good idea to add the rest (a couple of grams) of the yeast as well?

Hey hey

At the moment I'm fermenting an English IPA and have dry hopped it now for 8 days. Im using fuggles as my hop of choice and was just wondering would it be better to bottle today or maybe push it out till Saturday which would bring it to a 10 day dry hop.

I know the minium for dry hopping is about 5 days but what is the maxium? It surely would be different for different styles and hops.

Cheers

Midnight Brew

I have a question.. not really 'dry hopping' as such but I guess bit kind of fits with flavour aroma... anywhose..

is there any reason I cant/shouldnt add some hope tea when I rack to bulk prime?

using big old coffee plunger of course so sediment shouldnt be an issue.

the brew has had amarillo and cascade dry hopped after high krausen.. didnt get as much as I would have liked from FG tastings (1046-1010)

just wondering if it add anything nice or just grass?

havnt ever read why not I dont think.

Cheers all

Yob

A question as to the steps in dry hopping. I have searched here and google but have no luck with my questions.

I have a bag of curtain material with a drawstring about the size of an A4 sheet of paper and intend to use it to dry hop a 66l batch with 125 gms of hops.

Do i soak the bag in steriliser or boil it or something?

To those using pellets, some things say to add a weight to get the bag to sink, and other references say that the pellets will sink on their own. What is the best way?

Thanks for the help.

A question as to the steps in dry hopping. I have searched here and google but have no luck with my questions.

I have a bag of curtain material with a drawstring about the size of an A4 sheet of paper and intend to use it to dry hop a 66l batch with 125 gms of hops.

Do i soak the bag in steriliser or boil it or something?

To those using pellets, some things say to add a weight to get the bag to sink, and other references say that the pellets will sink on their own. What is the best way?

Thanks for the help.

I will boil the bag and a weight (marble or SS fitting) for 10-15 min.

Loose pellets will eventually drop to the bottom after 7-10 days. Whole hops tend to float so I will generally use a bag and weight for these.

Punkin,

No need to put the hops in a bag, pour them in loose for maximum value.

cheers Ross

Only thing is that i don't usually secondary, Ross. i keg straight from the fermenter after adding gelatine a couple days before.

Will this still be ok?

She'll be cranky if she's made a bag for me for no reason <_<

If you can CC the primary before transferring it will help the hop matter to settle out.

ps. If you are boiling a bag and marble, don't add a cold marble to boiling water...

If you can CC the primary before transferring it will help the hop matter to settle out.

ps. If you are boiling a bag and marble, don't add a cold marble to boiling water...

Stainless bolt went in.

I can't cold crash except to turn the heat off. it's a 66l ferment, and i'm not strong enough to move it.

I don't reckon there's any harm using a bag as long as it's boiled. If not using it was likely to get me in trouble I'd use it. Definitely use it if you use flowers at some stage unless you want to siphon into bottles. Speaking from personal experience it's no fun.

So there is no problem just cracking the fermenter and throwing them in? No need to worry about oxidization etc.?

Is it necessary to put them in a muslin or will they settle with sediment anyway?

Its fine to open the fermenter, just be quick about it and try to do it in a clean environment.
Hop pellets will settle down after time, flowers will float, I don't bag them, but some will.

Another quick questions - I'm about to add my hops but it still seems to be fermenting pretty actively (4 days in) should I give it another 24hours or should I chuck them in anyway?

Sorry if I'm being thick but the links to articles here seem to be broken. Or am I missing something - it happens with old age! :unsure:

ivars said:
Sorry if I'm being thick but the links to articles here seem to be broken. Or am I missing something - it happens with old age! :unsure:
It's you. You ARE missing something.
Specifically, the highlighted text above the topic heading that states:

RecipeDB, articles and links are offline temporarily but will return, read more in my blogs.

I just recently kegged a lovely Bohemian Pilsner, All Weyermann Pils malt, Saaz hopped to 12 IBU and used WLP800 for a clean flavour. Done a decoction, multi step, bells and whistles mash so its nice and malty.
Would anyone recommend dry hopping my new pilsner? Ive had hoppy ones before but should I hop the shit out of my pure pure pilsner? My first ever perfect to style,clean, gorgeous, crisp, fragrant, smooth, lovely pilsner? HmmmmMMM?

Back