AHB Biggest Loser Challenge!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OT - I wonder what would happen if you put some yeast in with that Coke and all that sugar? :lol:

It would probably be destroyed like anything else that gets near coke (teeth, liver, concrete, relationships, etc)

I remember when I was a kid, we used to clean the rust and other crap off of our fishing hooks by soaking them in a bowl of Coke. Would clean them up as good as new...imagine what that shit does to your guts.

Off topic: Had an old XE fairmont as my first car. The battery terminals would occasionally get a bit of crud on it (copper sulfate IIRC) and wouldn't start. A splash of coke on the terminals and I was off again.

On topic: weighed in last night: 92.8kg
Revised Goal: 85kg

wbosher said:
I remember when I was a kid, we used to clean the rust and other crap off of our fishing hooks by soaking them in a bowl of Coke. Would clean them up as good as new...imagine what that shit does to your guts.
Considering your stomach produces hydrochloric acid anyway I'd say not much - but all that sugar will certainly do some damage in other areas

I went on a diet once, I swore off drinking home brew and eating heavy fatty foods and in fourteen days I lost.......two weeks!!!

Bragpost but I don't care. In the last 18 months I've lost 35kg. I tipped the scales at a ridiculous 150kg. I lost my love for life and just stopped doing much except working, eating and drinking. Just got to a point where I had enough and decided my girlfriend (who is still way out of my league) deserved better. Stopped eating shit, gave up smoking cold turkey and started exercising. Did the c25k program, then started gym work and Brazilian Ju-Jitsu. I've relaxed my lifestyle now and as such my weight loss has slowed but I'm in a good place and stay very active.

If anyone is struggling and needs someone to talk to, send me a PM. I'm more than happy to talk about my experiences or listen to yours.

It's funny how many people ask me how I did it. Everyone already knows. Unfortunately, there's no quick and easy secret.

Amen to that. Everyone wants a magic bullet but there is no easy answer.

When people ask me how I lost over 30kg in 8 months I tell them the truth. Cycled 200km every week without fail, rain or shine.

Simple but not easy.

I'm late coming to this thread, I know but I recently dropped from 99kg to 78kg in 7 months.

Now I hate exercise and I smoke, it's not a healthy attitude or lifestyle I know but it's how I am, so I did this completely by diet alone. It was a good ol' American 'low/no carb diet'. I didn't go super strict but to break it down to the simplest terms; anything containing flour, sugar, potatoes and/or rice is the enemy. Cut them out completely and you'll start to lose weight.

It ain't easy, it chops your eating options by over 50% and you haven't had a carb craving until you have bolted across 6 lanes of moving traffic to get to an open Brumbies Bakery on the other side of the main road like I have. It's about willpower and replacing your carbs with protein, meat is your friend here. One of my favorite packed lunches for work is a simple lettuce, tomato, cucumber, olive and feta salad with kangaroo sausage chopped into it.

However I am NOT a dietitian but even I am aware that this is not a long term sustainable diet. But if you can keep it up for 6 months then you'll probably have your eating in check by the end of it. God knows I have.

I should probably mention that for all my preaching about cutting out carbs, I never once considered cutting beer from my diet. It was my one exception to the rule. However I did resolve not to drink any booze except on the weekends. All in all, if I was going to have a diet blow-out (and they happen) I saved them for the weekends. One or two days out of seven isn't the end of the world.

One final point, since I've dropped the weight I am more open to the idea of exercise and have taken up a once a week boxing class. It isn't much but it's a start and that's all we can ask for. It doesn't seem so bad now that I'm not lugging an extra 20kg about.

I would rather work my arse off than give up good carbs. Refined processed carbs aren't great, but things like potatoes, oats and brown rice are fantastic for you. I do try to limit my carb intake late at night. I dropped most of my weight in the first 6-9 months, then started working on dropping body fat percentage by gaining muscle which severely slows down the numbers on the scale, but you judge by the way your clothes fit and that was still improving.

My fitness model friend at work would abuse me if I told her I was giving up carbs. I haven't researched it and you even acknowledged its not a sustainable diet, but is it even healthy to do for any amount of time?

Even lettuce has carbohydrates. I find the idea of a no carb diet to be the bane of health and common sense. Less processed food, more fresh food is a better way of looking at it.

Yeh I pissed the no carb thing off pretty quickly, and took up the Kj or Calorie watching. Carbs don't really matter in weight loss alot, they just halt and store themselves, they'll still be lost if calorie watching, but take a longer time to drop out, like 3 days after eating, whereas your high protein foods will be lost not long after eating.

As I've said before, I don't like exercising one bit, Kj watching and team sports are much less hassle to push yourself to do, you don't need to argue with your brain about having to go run around with friends on a football pitch or basketball court like you do when your on a treadmill in a boring gym with MTV on a tv in the distance.

pommiebloke said:
Cycled 200km every week without fail, rain or shine. Simple but not easy.
Kudos to you, but fark that's some bike riding.

It's Friday lads and you all know what that means

Name Starting Wt Current Wt Goal Wt
Acarey 105.8 95
bradsbrew 93 85
Diesel80 93 90
Rowy 120 115
BribieG 95 85
Beerness 101 90
pnorkle 112 90
meathead 99 98 89
Lodan 98 88
Mosto 123 90
Logman 130 105
Tidal Pete 75 72
Shaunos 107 93
GrumpyPaul 70 63

Well, a combination of before and after work commitments, and illness, has meant not as many exercise sessions this week. However, watching the food intake and no beer since Sunday has seen me drop another 1.5 kg. Down to 120 from 123.5 in a bit under two weeks. On track to hit short term goal of under 120 by Xmas.

Only excuses for me to, but cant be helped this time of year for Xmas lunches and visitors already.

Starting 107.8
This Morning 106.4

Well done guys. I've gained this week back up to 105.2. But I had a baby yesterday and the resulting 1000 beers last night might be skewing the numbers.

Edit: My wife actually had the baby

Back