AHB Articles: Using Glad wrap instead of a lid

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why would something grow on gladwrap but not on a lid?

Most people seem to be OK with GladWrap but I haven't been that lucky. And from reading this it seems clear why.

I got two infections in a row using Glad Wrap and I've stopped using it since. Both at the same point in fermentation - after dry hoping, about 3 weeks in to the ferment, 7 days before bottling. I spoke to a few people at the time and they seemed to think the lack of a protective Co2 layer would have played a big part in it. I chucked the dry hop bag out and switched to cubes so that I can fit 2 in my ferment fridge.

Hope this helps others!

Joel

Why would something grow on gladwrap but not on a lid?

Doesn't grow on the lid but on the beer.

Can't give you a proper 'why' explanation though and as I said - I no longer really use barrel fermenters for fermenting. Still cube is HDPE so shouldn't be more prone to oxidation or oxygen related skin infection any more than HDPE lid should.

However Glad is not HDPE. Not sure exactly how semi-permeable each is to gases but the explanation may exist in that. I think Glad is fine to use in place of a lid in general (hence I wrote the article) but I think at least cautiously observing once the brew has ceased active fermentation is wise based almost entirely on my, admittedly limited experience with a couple of issues.

So in summary, glad for the first couple of days, dry hop and wack on a lid (I'll have to buy a lid with no hole I think) I figure once active is done a quick loosen to let any pressure build up would be fine, if it even came to that?

Glad for the entirety of active ferment (more than 2 days for me) and even a bit after is definitely fine. It's just if you have it sitting around to condition for a bit.

Doesn't grow on the lid but on the beer.
Ah, yeah, I read that wrong. My apologies.

Worth pointing out (before the panic that has begun sets in proper) this is manticle's experience in manticle's environment. May not happen to you - if you believe it may then I'd ask you why use gladwrap at all?

Spoken as a full-time gladwrapper who has not observed the phenomena under discussion.

reading back a bit...
to all the people glugging shit everywhere when pouring a cube into the fermenter..

turn the cube backwards, have the handle BELOW the opening in the cube and it will pour smoothly
ive lost count of how many 'cubes' of oil ive poured straight into big diesel engines without a funnel that way

this is manticle's experience in manticle's environment. May not happen to you

Agree completely.

Glad is good and I'm glad I sometimes use Glad. It will not an infection necessitate.

In April this year I had an amazing experience. Well, it should be experiences, inclusive of the Craft Brew Conference in San Diego, SD itself, some fantastic company, Green Flash Brewery, Stone and Firestone Walker Brewery.

... and Anchor Brewing. There was no glad wrap, no lid, no dome top at Anchor. Pure, simple open fermenters as big as a tennis court each. All that is provided is a well maintained and cleaned room, proper yeast numbers and lots of love. The yeast peaks where like whipped egg white out of my kitchenaid. Strong, stiff and glorious.

How many years has that and many other breweries been doing this? Since time began. If the pro's can do it, usually it is easier at home ... a lid vs plastic film ... a stupid discussion ...

Scotty

They make really shit beer though.

True story.

I had their porter last year. I think most of us would admit porter is about as forgiving as styles get.

Their porter tastes like a bottle of abused yeast. Horrible stuff.

EDIT:
That's entirely beside the point, though. This is an article instructing people how to put gladwrap on a fermenter. Who is reading this thread looking for answers? Noobs. You're, by inference - in an article, tell noobs not to even worry about a lid of any description. This is sub-Darren trolling on your part. Many, many times worse if said noob has any idea who you are. You should be contributing better than this.

I had their porter last year. I think most of us would admit porter is about as forgiving as styles get.

Their porter tastes like a bottle of abused yeast. Horrible stuff.

EDIT:
That's entirely beside the point, though. This is an article instructing people how to put gladwrap on a fermenter. Who is reading this thread looking for answers? Noobs. You're, by inference - in an article, tell noobs not to even worry about a lid of any description. This is sub-Darren trolling on your part. Many, many times worse if said noob has any idea who you are. You should be contributing better than this.

Well this is a burst from the blocks. Nice try sunshine, is this a gray market import that has plagued the Aussie market for years? As the 5th beer on my tasting flight, at the brewery bar, if anyone can sledge these guys at 11 million litres a year for poor yeast handling i take your degree in Microbiology sees you suitably equipped to judge so?

Yes, if you have a clean space and good yeast handling then a lid is not needed at all. If you are a 'noob', a lid or glad wrap is the same thing. They are both a lid. Does not matter what is used, could be a towel. Cleanliness, good yeast and care is what makes beer.

A number of years ago I met a psychologist who commented folks who fixate on characters often want to be them. Darren?

Sorry forgot to say, Scotty, Head Brewer from Rocks Brewing Co. , I am such a fraud!

They are both a lid. Does not matter what is used, could be a towel. Cleanliness, good yeast and care is what makes beer.

you know.. this, and I have no science behind me but only personal experience here, is with out a doubt some of the best advice going.. this mentality with my brewing has got me thus far without infection.. or oxidisation or any of any other sort of ion due to what lid I use ;)

.. that I know of ...

well said.

. If the pro's can do it, usually it is easier at home ... a lid vs plastic film ... a stupid discussion ...

The point is not really lid VS plastic film (not from my perspective anyway). It'about the timing. Do open fermentation breweries leave the beer in open fermentation situations for a long time after active fermentation is completed/FG reached or transfer it somewhere else?

The point is not really lid VS plastic film (not from my perspective anyway). It'about the timing. Do open fermentation breweries leave the beer in open fermentation situations for a long time after active fermentation is completed/FG reached or transfer it somewhere else?

Nope, they allow the ferment to happen, go thru D rest and its outta there. Just like good HB practice should be, no need leaving it there for a week or 2 after, at ambeint temps most folks should have thier beer on chill within 5 days.

Another point to bear in mind, is the taller fermentation vessels (i.e. more head pressure on yeast trub) in commercial applications compared to our short homebrew fermentors. You would not want to leave that higher net pressure in commercial fermentor on the yeast trub for an extended period - leading to damaging yeast cells releasing unwanted products into the beer (based on my limited readings on this to date).

DrSmurto posted some great info recently on gas/pressure and oxygen levels inside kegs and other vessels. Highly relevant to this thread imo. Can't recall which thread it was in though!

Fwiw, I used to gladwrap but don't anymore - I had more than one apparently healthy beer at end of primary ferment go bad quickly during cold conditioning with glad wrap left on in lieu of replacing with lid. Not saying this is the result of glad wrap at all, but the solid lid gives me extra piece of mind.

Ah, yeah, I read that wrong. My apologies.

Worth pointing out (before the panic that has begun sets in proper) this is manticle's experience in manticle's environment. May not happen to you - if you believe it may then I'd ask you why use gladwrap at all?

Spoken as a full-time gladwrapper who has not observed the phenomena under discussion.

obviously you have gone through a proper sanitation and cleaning program .

might be something in that. :)

i have been gladwrapping my last 8 batches and leave my fermentation for 14 days, no problems here .

fergi

I recently dodged a gladwrap bullet waiting for a Belgian Dubbel to get a freakin move on and hit FG. It was in my big arse fermenter and had climbed up the walls and tried to get out, so there was a LOT of gladwrap (not like the little bit on the jerry hole). Anyway, as I was rinsing the fermenter after kegging it I noticed a couple of salty/fluffy white rings about the size of a 5c way up high in the krausen ring, by the rim of the fermenter where the krausen had got right up to (WY3787), and they had a slight vinegar whiff.

So I panicked and quickly tried the stuff in the keg and there's no aceto ... but I reckon I was close. There was totally O2 in the headspace but that was probably all the delicious tasting (checking the SG again, Honey!) out the tap which I think a lot of people forget is sucking in air no matter what airlock method is used. Too much "tasting" at or near FG will pull in air and bugs.

manticle said:
That works well too. Many times I ferment in my no chill cube by just aerating and adding yeast once chilled. Obviously I am fermenting with all the cold break in there - to be honest I haven't personally noticed a difference but if you're going to give it a go, be aware that you are accepting my word for it.

Does make things simple - brew, no chill, next day add active yeast starter.

I would never toss the lids though - even just to make cleaning and sanitising easy they are worth keeping around (shake, shake and all that).
Hey Manticle,

Fermenting in cubes can any of the krausen get out the lid? What do you use to clean your cubes after? Do you store cubes with anything inside them when not in use? I.e. Sodium precarbonate solution? Thanks mate, great tips.

Latest posts

Back