AHB Articles: Using Glad wrap instead of a lid

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I still use a lid but my reason is that it keeps 3 & 5 year old hands out of my beer.

What is it with kids and putting holes in plastic wrap? :p

Thanks for this Manticle. Since I saw in a thread a while ago that you used Glad wrap I have started to use it as I can fit my fermenter into my fridge easier. So a big thanks and yeah it is less to clean up after fermenting.
Cheers
Chucka

I love the cling wrap!

And although totally unrelated, just sampled my first AG brew, JSGA clone.... oh man! No turning back now!

If I could work out a way to use an immersion heater (safely) with glad wrap, I'd do away with all my lids. Any one got some cool McGyver way of getting the best of both worlds? (preferably with some tin foil, chewing gum and a pocket knife)

Personally I use a lid but pop a PET lid over the bung hole. This still lets me see the krausen, pop dry hop pellets through the hole and I dont have to fiddle around with glad wrap.

If I could work out a way to use an immersion heater (safely) with glad wrap, I'd do away with all my lids. Any one got some cool McGyver way of getting the best of both worlds? (preferably with some tin foil, chewing gum and a pocket knife)
Hey i got one.
Get the pocket knife and lay it across the top of the opening, wind some of the coil around it and bind with gum, then apply glad wrap. And throw the tin foil away!
haha, you could easily sub the pocket knife with a stiff piece of wood or metal, and use string for the gum to bind it properly. Then just glad wrap over it. Just make sure the shaft doesn't poke too far over the sides so u can cover it with glad wrap.

Manticle, how many sheets/covers do you use? I normally go with 2, but then i can't see in. I might just try one next time i guess.

Errrr.... Undrilled lid be OK or am I asking for trouble making the fermenter too overtight?

I use glad wrap and thro my hydrometer into the brew! Means that i don't have to open it up untill all the beer has been safely put into bottles :)

Dang! Just when I though I prolly had the perfect thing by accident!

I'm going to try and build a pressure cooker type of thing, only let out CO2 when it's built up to some pressure. I hate my airlocks. I frekkin loathe them. They are supposed to bubble g@)@&&17. Sigh. Thnx mate. Folks at home will appreciate me not creating a barrel bomb in the laundry.

Dang! Just when I though I prolly had the perfect thing by accident!

I'm going to try and build a pressure cooker type of thing, only let out CO2 when it's built up to some pressure. I hate my airlocks. I frekkin loathe them. They are supposed to bubble g@)@&&17. Sigh. Thnx mate. Folks at home will appreciate me not creating a barrel bomb in the laundry.

Why make it more complicated when cling wrap is so simple? I'm not sure but keeping pressure in may affect your fermentation, a bit like the opposite of open fermentation.

I've used a lid loosely screwed on before. Far from ideal but I drank the beer.

loosely is probably fine. I have fermented in cubes with the lid dialed back a half turn or so. The gas just needs somewhere to go but if you overtighten something that has a rubber o-rinfg to help seal, you're asking for trouble.

I just ferment in 20lt and 25lt cubes/jerrys and back off the lid a half turn so the CO2 has somewhere to escape. Don't bother with gladwrap and all that type of crap anymore. Basically went this way because I can fit more square pegs into the square hole (tha fridges) therefore maximise the fermentation fridges space.

Although I did used to Gladwrap back in the day with barrel fermenters and tossed all the lids in the brewery spare parts bin.

Just the way I do things. Horse and course fella's :icon_cheers:

Chap Chap

I've used a lid loosely screwed on before. Far from ideal but I drank the beer.
I do this with my yeast in a powerade bottle i just tighten it when i shake then release works great!

I just ferment in 20lt and 25lt cubes/jerrys and back off the lid a half turn so the CO2 has somewhere to escape. Don't bother with gladwrap and all that type of crap anymore. Basically went this way because I can fit more square pegs into the square hole (tha fridges) therefore maximise the fermentation fridges space.

Although I did used to Gladwrap back in the day with barrel fermenters and tossed all the lids in the brewery spare parts bin.

Just the way I do things. Horse and course fella's :icon_cheers:

Chap Chap

That works well too. Many times I ferment in my no chill cube by just aerating and adding yeast once chilled. Obviously I am fermenting with all the cold break in there - to be honest I haven't personally noticed a difference but if you're going to give it a go, be aware that you are accepting my word for it.

Does make things simple - brew, no chill, next day add active yeast starter.

I would never toss the lids though - even just to make cleaning and sanitising easy they are worth keeping around (shake, shake and all that).

For me, I still use a clear cling-wrap lid because it is much easier to see the inside even though there is condensation building up.

I use glad wrap on mine. I prick a hole in it using a needle. I stick a sticker onto the wrap and poke the hole through the sticker. That way the hole stays small and doesn't tear.

Back