AHB Articles: turning a keg into a keggle

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jab down on the rubber seal with a bigass screwdriver and wedge the screwdriver in, let the pressure escape.

Commence cutting, when you finish cutting, lift out top and spear etc all in one.
I cut a similar one open couple of weeks ago and the damn outer ring was jammed tight. No amount of effort will get it out.

Also, if you try hard enough, you will be able to lift out the rubber seal. Then you can cut the little steel collar thingy underneath that holds the spring down (don't worry, taking the rubber spring out released the spring already) and can lift the spear out.

use a socket that fits the rubber area and can slide down the steel bit and a Tbar socket bar

put socket bar on throw a towel over the top and depress the rubber with the tbar

:lol: I feel like a bit of an idiot. Didn't realise I had to press on the rubber, I was pressing on the centre :blink:

I have now de-pressurised the keg! Thanks everyone who replied

Don't think I'll bother trying to take it apart as I'm gonna cut the top off anyway

:lol: I feel like a bit of an idiot. Didn't realise I had to press on the rubber, I was pressing on the centre :blink:

I have now de-pressurised the keg! Thanks everyone who replied

Don't think I'll bother trying to take it apart as I'm gonna cut the top off anyway

be aware that pressure can and most likely will build up in there as more C02 comes out of the beer that is still in there
release the pressure again and drill a hole in it otherwise you will get hurt if you take a grinder to a keg you thought you had released the pressure from or at the very least you will cop a faceful of stale beer spray

finally got around to chopping the lid section out of the top of the keg. It was much easier than I thought it would be!

I was thinking of using a section of the stainless dip tube for my thermowell, just chuck a plug in one end (or clamp it shut with a vice) & the temp probe in the other end, through the lid. Has anyone done this or think of a reason why it wouldn't work?

im thinking it would work if it was plugged properly not just crimped shut

due to the size [around 7/8" or so] it might be a good idea to plug the top of it with cork or something so the temp inside the thermowell would not be influenced by the ambient temp in the fridge [im assuming this is what you are planning on doing with it]
with it plugged both ends and the sensor inside, the temp in the tube will pretty much remain the same as the wort it is immersed in [makes sense to me at least]

hope this helps.

cheers: HBK

.... it might be a good idea to plug the top of it with cork or something so the temp inside the thermowell would not be influenced by the ambient temp in the fridge [im assuming this is what you are planning on doing with it].......

cheers: HBK

I'm building a single vessel very similar to Big Nath's and was thinking of running the thermowell through the lid of the keggle. I still haven't decided what kind of temp probe to buy yet, or if I should just go with the standard one that comes with the stc-1000. Either way, I wanted to run a thermowell 2/3 of the way down

A thermowell of that size would result in thermometer inaccuracy unless you flooded it with a highly conductive liquid. A dry thermowell really needs to hug the probe as closely as possible.

Back