AHB Articles: 2010 Funky Beer Swap

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gulpa's Old Ale

Poured slightly hazy with a nice dense fluffy head. Head retention has been good for the last hour or so that I've been sitting on this one. Nice darkish bronze colour. Haze has disapeared on warming.

In the aroma I get a lot of dried fruit & spice with a nice hit of brett. Not horse blanket brett, but cherry / citrus rind like.

I'm tasting figs, bread, caramel, citrus rind, hints of tabacoo, & high alcohol - Not so much after it has warmed up. Now that is warmed up it's really nicely integrated.

Nice & dry finish. A lovely sipper on a coldish night.

I've really enjoyed this one.

Thanks Gulpa.

Gulpa's Old Ale

Poured slightly hazy with a nice dense fluffy head. Head retention has been good for the last hour or so that I've been sitting on this one. Nice darkish bronze colour. Haze has disapeared on warming.

In the aroma I get a lot of dried fruit & spice with a nice hit of brett. Not horse blanket brett, but cherry / citrus rind like.

I'm tasting figs, bread, caramel, citrus rind, hints of tabacoo, & high alcohol - Not so much after it has warmed up. Now that is warmed up it's really nicely integrated.

Nice & dry finish. A lovely sipper on a coldish night.

I've really enjoyed this one.

Thanks Gulpa.

Cheers beers,

glad you enjoyed it. I may have to dig one out to try.

Andrew.

Drinking kabooby's old ale.
Spectacular beer.
Clear as a bell, tight head with good retention.
Fruity Brett aroma. Lots of berry & cherry.
Solid acidity. I totally agree with neonmeate in that it is very similar to a Pinot Nior.
Glad I've sat on this one for so long. Cracker of a beer. Thanks kabooby.

6) Manticle - Oud bruiny/dubbelish type thing with a bit of whisky, oak, raisins and various citrus zests and flesh fermented in secondary with roselare and orval dregs

Had this on the weekend.

Beer was highly carbed but head dissipated quickly. Wow lots going on with this one. Nice aroma of leather and Christmas pudding with a slight acetic character. Definitely picking up the citrus in this. For me its grapefruit.

Nice beer. Maybe could have benefited with some clearing as I had a fair amount of sundries end up in the glass.

Thanks for the beer

Kabooby :)

Its amazing what time does to a beer. 8 months in the fridge has let this beer clear in the bottle and all of the flavours have come together nicely. Creamy velvety head that gives a silky mouthfeel.

Thanks again Manticle and I am glad I found this up the back of the fridge.

Drinking kabooby's old ale.
Spectacular beer.
Clear as a bell, tight head with good retention.
Fruity Brett aroma. Lots of berry & cherry.
Solid acidity. I totally agree with neonmeate in that it is very similar to a Pinot Nior.
Glad I've sat on this one for so long. Cracker of a beer. Thanks kabooby.

Thanks for the great review beers. Glad you enjoyed it. Still have a few bottles of this tucked away so will have to give it a try. Did you have it in the fridge all this time?

Its amazing what time does to a beer. 8 months in the fridge has let this beer clear in the bottle and all of the flavours have come together nicely. Creamy velvety head that gives a silky mouthfeel.

Thanks again Manticle and I am glad I found this up the back of the fridge.

Cheers Kabooby.

Wish I'd had the patience to reserve one or two now.

Thanks for the great review beers. Glad you enjoyed it. Still have a few bottles of this tucked away so will have to give it a try. Did you have it in the fridge all this time?

Yes, it was in the fridge... along with a second bottle of manticle's offering that I've just stumbled upon :icon_cheers: woot!

6) Manticle - Oud bruiny/dubbelish type thing with a bit of whisky, oak, raisins and various citrus zests and flesh fermented in secondary with roselare and orval dregs

Thought Id be the first to give this one a go.

Pours a hazy deep copper red. Smallish head that falls back quite quickly.

Inviting aroma of sweet Brett cherry, a touch of leather/funk there in the background. Time reveals a complex aroma with lots of dark fruits with some caramel in there as well that come up as it warms.

Flavour has the cherry right up in front. Sour cherry. Almost comes across as a kriek type of thing. Citrus peels there adding to the sourness. Again there is a complexity here that I can quite put my finger on all the notes but it obviously comes from the listed ingredients.

Medium body. Lowish carb. Slight astringency as expected from the sour.

I really like this beer. Brett is there but it doesnt dominate. Its like a kriek but with so much more going on that you would usally expect. The only disappointment is that its bottled in stubbies and I have to stop now ;) .

cheers
Andrew.

Opened up the second bottle of this tonight. Surprisingly similar to the above. Brett seems a bit more forward than last time. Still very sour cherry/kriek like with a hint of sweetness remaining. Still a lovely beer. Thanks Andrew.

Cheers
Andrew.

Latest posts

Back