AHB Articles: 2010 Funky Beer Swap

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

manticle

Standing up for the Aussie Bottler
Reaction score
These are the tasting notes for article: 2010 Funky Beer Swap

Neonmate already started so I've taken the liberty of copying and pasting his notes here

I think I might be the first to have the honour of cracking the swap beers and if it's anything like last year jeez it looks like a mindblowingly delicious bunch of wild beers. I don't know why quintrex didn't drink em all himself.

this one is matho's apa?! whose is it? anyway doesn't taste remotely like any apa I've ever had unless it means Antwerp pale ale or Ardennes pale ale. a lovely malty amber beer with good body and head retention, dried peaches and figs, touch of 14 year old socks, vanilla, styrian hops?, bretty leather in aroma. great balance of malty wholesomeness and green hoppy bitterness, joined by dry dry dry finish of winey brett phenols. like a maltier version of Orval. delicious !!! and surely isn't 6% like it says on the label? edit : stupid iPhone trying to correct my spelling

I got two bottles of number 4 which is revealed as Gulpa's old ale with brett.

Damn I love Brett. Have loved Orval for some time before I even knew what the character was.

This one pours clear with a decent head that dissipates very quickly to a few bubbles. Aroma of deep citrus, wood and slight leather.

Lively carb level, firm but subtle bitterness, rich sweetness at the back of the palate, almost orange pudding like, finishes dry. Mild alcohol notes. Almost a dessert beer, you could easily introduce someone to funked beers without telling them what it is with something like this.

Really tasty. Makes me feel like I'm on the right track with mine and glad I got two bottles. Cheers

These are the tasting notes for article: 2010 Funky Beer Swap

Neonmate already started so I've taken the liberty of copying and pasting his notes here

I got two bottles of number 4 which is revealed as Gulpa's old ale with brett.

Damn I love Brett. Have loved Orval for some time before I even knew what the character was.

This one pours clear with a decent head that dissipates very quickly to a few bubbles. Aroma of deep citrus, wood and slight leather.

Lively carb level, firm but subtle bitterness, rich sweetness at the back of the palate, almost orange pudding like, finishes dry. Mild alcohol notes. Almost a dessert beer, you could easily introduce someone to funked beers without telling them what it is with something like this.

Really tasty. Makes me feel like I'm on the right track with mine and glad I got two bottles. Cheers

Thanks Manticle. Glad you enjoyed it. Good thing about having two bottles is that you can let the other get a bit of age. :beer:

Ive got to pick my beers up this week. Really looking forward to tasting these beers.

cheers
Andrew.

From neonmate again

had brenosbrew's farmhouse ipa yesterday. wow, this was like an all-in brawl at the flemington markets. a riot of fruit. the pineapple and cherry from the brett, the citrus and apricot from the amarillo and galaxy. the beer looked lovely too, nice sticky head and a nice golden colour. very complex stuff, the phenols and the bitterness and the fruitiness all combine surprisingly well. wish i could buy this stuff! (wouldn't buy it every day though)!

Barl's: Munich barley Wine.

Once again I have two bottles.

Pours clear amber/brown with a reasonable head that thins rapidly.
Aroma of deep toffee.
Warm alcohol notes, very rich toffee flavour, tingles on the tongue.

I might save the other bottle for winter - very rich and warming. Almost the sweetness of an underattenuated extract beer but has a complexity that, coupled with the alcohol warmth belies that.

The complexity verges on that of a good dubbel - when it's not just yeast esters/phenolics but layers of malt and rich alcohol - think Rochefort or Achel then make them a dubbel dubbel.

Very, very slight citrus fruitiness. I don't get much brett - will see if the second bottle is different.

if I drank a few of these in a row, I might dress up as superman and visit me old mate Puffing billy for a cuppa and a chinwag.

Just finishing glass number 1 - Like a toffee hammer swung by a beer Ninja.

cheers manicle, the bretts there trust me, its just not in your face brett.
im glad you enjoyed it.
ill post the recipe later if anyones interested.

I think everyone would be interested in everyone else's recipe and ferment regime if they can be remembered. I know a lot of mine was spontaneous decision and experimentation. Hard to repeat exactly but principles learnt on the way.

I noticed my beer is showing ready in the wiki. It was under carbed when I tried it 4 weeks ago. It should be ok now.

If anyone tries it let us know how the carb levels are

Thanks
Kabooby :)

currently enjoying barls' munich barley wine. and i mean really enjoying it.

very malty and full bodied, but with lots of fruitiness. the brett is there - leathery cherry and pineapple, but accompanied by a big fat malty body with some touches of nuttiness and toastiness. i like the way it goes the melanoidin route rather than the maillard route to body - not too much crystal, but heaps of malt guts. actually tastes a lot like my gavroche clone that i made last year, which was lots of munich and brown sugar. i'd probably place it as a biere de garde if you forced me to pigeonhole it. warming, satisfying and complex - great stuff!

what was in it?

cheers mate, im interested to see how it turns out in 6-12 months time and if i feel up to it or have any left i might actually enter it as a bier de garde
heres the recipe which i must say is almost a direct copy of bugeaters munich barley wine from the bn.
Recipe Overview
Target Wort Volume Before Boil: 32.00 l Actual Wort Volume Before Boil: 35.00 l
Target Wort Volume After Boil: 20.00 l Actual Wort Volume After Boil: 20.00 l
Target Volume Transferred: 20.00 l Actual Volume Transferred: 20.00 l
Target Volume At Pitching: 20.00 l Actual Volume At Pitching: 20.00 l
Target Volume Of Finished Beer: 19.00 l Actual Volume Of Finished Beer: 19.00 l
Target Pre-Boil Gravity: 1.067 SG Actual Pre-Boil Gravity: 1.055 SG
Target OG: 1.114 SG Actual OG: 1.085 SG
Target FG: 1.114 SG Actual FG: 1.007 SG
Target Apparent Attenuation:: 0.0 % Actual Apparent Attenuation: 91.2 %
Target ABV: 0.0 % Actual ABV: 10.5 %
Target ABW: 0.0 % Actual ABW: 8.3 %
Target IBU (using Tinseth): 80.8 IBU Actual IBU: 89.8 IBU
Target Color (using Morey): 12.7 SRM Actual Color: 12.7 SRM
Target Mash Efficiency: 80.0 % Actual Mash Efficiency: 72.1 %
Target Fermentation Temp: 18 degC Actual Fermentation Temp: 18 degC

Fermentables
Ingredient Amount % MCU When
German Munich Malt 7.480 kg 82.5 % 17.2 In Mash/Steeped
UK Oat Malt 0.790 kg 8.7 % 0.7 In Mash/Steeped
German CaraMunich I 0.200 kg 2.2 % 2.9 In Mash/Steeped
German Vienna Malt 0.200 kg 2.2 % 0.3 In Mash/Steeped
Sugar - Turbinado 0.400 kg 4.4 % 1.7 End Of Boil

Hops
Variety Alpha Amount IBU Form When
NZ Southern Cross 15.9 % 16 g 26.5 Loose Whole Hops First Wort Hopped
NZ Sticklebract 13.5 % 37 g 54.3 Loose Pellet Hops 60 Min From End

Yeast
wyeast old ale blend

Mash Schedule
Mash Type: Full Mash
Step Type Temperature Duration
Rest at 64 degC 90
Raise to and Mash out at 82 degC 10

isn't it amazing how bitterness is affected by malt and alcohol. this one's so malty i wouldn't have had a clue it was anywhere near 89 IBU. the oat malt is interesting - i can see how it helps with the smooth body. nice recipe i might have to make something similar.

89? Jesus. I agree with neonmate - mine was so malty you could stick it to a spoon and call it mr malty's malty malt spoon from malta made entirely from maltese malt.

I guess the ageing would mellow it all out massively too.

it does doesnt it. although i will say the southern cross had been in there a year or so. also its been in the bottle since sept and spent 6 months in primary ageing
ill be making this again but with nz hops next time just for something different ill make it a hoppy monster.

just put a few in the fridge from the case to try. one of them is yours kabooby.
also beers if your reading this can you come and pick up your case as the wife is eyeing it off to drink.

Finally got around to heading to the north side and getting my beers from Q.

First up is the Berliner Weisse from Brendanos. This is the light acidity version.

A - Pours a clear pale straw with a 1.5 inch of dense white head that falls away almost immediately to nothing. Indeed, very champagne like.
S - Light apple and grape hints amongst some lactic sourness & a touch of barnyard funk.
T - Sourness but not too full on also with some apple notes. Bit of a wheat grainy flavour.
M - Exactly as the style should be; Light, dry & highly carbonated
O - A very nice Berliner Weisse. I judged Brendan's Berliner Weisse at AABC & loved it then & I love this now. Well done once again.

also beers if your reading this can you come and pick up your case as the wife is eyeing it off to drink.

:lol: will do. Saturday.

I opened a bottle of my Brown Saison on Saturday. It's carbed up well but needs more time in the bottle.. I'd estimate at least another month or 2.

just had one of the bottles of kaboobys beer. nice very different to the one i did with the same cube.
the wife keep saying it tasted lambicy, personally i think its a damn good

Might be because of the 1kg of Dark brown sugar I added.

Was the carb ok?

it was a little low but enough for the low end for the style.

6) Manticle - Oud bruiny/dubbelish type thing with a bit of whisky, oak, raisins and various citrus zests and flesh fermented in secondary with roselare and orval dregs

Thought Id be the first to give this one a go.

Pours a hazy deep copper red. Smallish head that falls back quite quickly.

Inviting aroma of sweet Brett cherry, a touch of leather/funk there in the background. Time reveals a complex aroma with lots of dark fruits with some caramel in there as well that come up as it warms.

Flavour has the cherry right up in front. Sour cherry. Almost comes across as a kriek type of thing. Citrus peels there adding to the sourness. Again there is a complexity here that I can quite put my finger on all the notes but it obviously comes from the listed ingredients.

Medium body. Lowish carb. Slight astringency as expected from the sour.

I really like this beer. Brett is there but it doesnt dominate. Its like a kriek but with so much more going on that you would usally expect. The only disappointment is that its bottled in stubbies and I have to stop now ;) .

cheers
Andrew.

Back