Ag Starting Brew

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
manaen said:
Well it looks like I have scored an aluminium 36L stock pot with lid pretty cheap, so really I could do a AG for my next brew. Full wort boils .. woohoo. I am on the hunt for a decent burner, but I can still use by single ring wok burner from my bbq until I get something better. I even ordered that AG DVD from the states last night to get some hints.

So guys .. does anyone have an kick arse (maybe award winning) recipe I can try for my first AG? I'd prefer pale and amber ales. All things going to plan I will give it a go next weekend :beerbang:

Does this sound like the right process to go:

* Steep 5kg(ish) grain in 66degC water for about 60 mins, recirculate a few litres through the grain until it comes out of tap clear, drain most of it into 36L stock pot.

* Put another 10-15L of 75degC water back into mash tun stir well, let it sit for 15 mins, recirculate till clear then drain off to stock pot.

* Boil full volume for 90 mins adding hops and Whirfloc (irish moss)

* Cool stock pot in ice bath (until I get an immersion chiller) until 25degC

* Transfer wort into fermenter, airate, take SG reading and pitch yeast.

Does this sound like the right way to go or am I missing something?
[post="105238"][/post]​

A good read on the intro to AG brewing was written by a well known forum member.
Have a read. :beer:

View attachment Jayses_Brewing_Bible.pdf

Thanks everyone for the interesting thread. I went and got a 3 ring burner today and looks like I will hopefully win the 36L ally stock pot off eBay.

Fingers crossed I may be spending saturday with my first AG

i use ally now and i m happy with i used to ss keg which was a pirta to clean and it was legal plus me 60 litre pot for me kettle cost me 80 bills very cheap but i have a good cheap source

Well I got outbid in the last 7 seconds .. someone got a pot for a good price!

The hunt continues ..

btw ... anyone know anywhere in canberra to get a (legal) 45L keg to convert?

Weizguy said:
negative hearsay.

[post="105655"][/post]​
negative? mind telling me what exactly you think is negative about what you read? heresay, maybe, but negative? be specific..and thanks for the spelling lesson. remember though, this is a board on brewing, not a university about useless spelling..either form of the word is widely accepted, in the international corporate world or any other. (and in my experience, only jerks correct spelling, especially on a recreational forum like this one, and especially for a word with two spellings that are accepted.)

Dont, take any notice of these guys Pop shots. Aussies like to tease and poke fun at things. Especially all things pertaining to America. Weisguy is a special case though. Some people have strange little fetishes they hide in their basement like whips and chains. Weiz has magnetic letters that form big words like (ethnocentric) and spelling B videos playing 24 hours a day!!!

JJ

protector of all foreigners that dare post on this site!!!

jimmyjack said:
Dont, take any notice of these guys Pop shots. Aussies like to tease and poke fun at things. Especially all things pertaining to America. Weisguy is a special case though. Some people have strange little fetishes they hide in their basement like whips and chains. Weiz has magnetic letters that form big words like (ethnocentric) and spelling B videos playing 24 hours a day!!!

JJ

protector of all foreigners that dare post on this site!!!
[post="105848"][/post]​
lol

Have a read of this topic for newbie all grainers.

It will help you with your next few brews.

Aluminium for brewing vessels has been covered many times on the forum. Do a search on the member name Chiller and the word aluminium. Don't use the American spelling or you will miss the information. This is an Australian forum and we use the Australian spelling.

The ubiquitous beer tin is made from it and there is a roll of aluminium foil in just about every household.

ok, i think my closest Walmart is in ummm Texas

There are rumours that Walmart are seriously looking at Woolies as an aqusition. So they could be alot closer than you think!!!

Latest posts

Back