Ag Pilsner Recipe

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have pellets at 4% and plugs at 3.2% - will only be using the plugs if I dry hop, I reckon.

At 4% this Scotsman can afford to go all the way with the bikin clad damsels of Plzen!!!!

Dry hoping is not a traditional practice for pilsners and the "raw" hop flavour it gives to this style of beer is not to my taste. You can do it if you want, but my recommendation would be to leave the dry hoping to your IPAs and go with late kettle additions with a Pils.

Cheers
MAH

MAH said:
Dry hoping is not a traditional practice for pilsners and the "raw" hop flavour it gives to this style of beer is not to my taste. You can do it if you want, but my recommendation would be to leave the dry hoping to your IPAs and go with late kettle additions with a Pils.

Cheers
MAH
That's a fair call MAH. I did say if I use the plugs.

I used almost all plugs in my first AG and blocked the kettle up big time, hence my preference for pellets, at least for now.

Just to add a little on the virtues of the mighty SAAZ :ph34r:

Here is a thread I started on grassy flavours and aromas from a saaz pilsener I made, it took a long time for the grassiness to fade so be aware.

I now use Halletau tettnang in the majority of my lagers and have not had the grassy flavour or aroma.

http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...=1962&hl=grassy

Back