Ag Issues

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnw

Reaction score
Hi,

I had a crack at my first AG using the BIAB and urn method over the weekend. I wasnt able to get cracked grain from the hbs i visited so i ended up using the rolling pin on the grain, which i think is the cause of the following problems...

1. First brew was a pilsner, 5kg of pils grain and 500g of vienna, 38L, 68degs for 90 mins, boil for 90 mins, reduced to 20L then into the cube for no chill. this brew now has a heap of floating bits in it and tastes rather sweet. its OG was 1036 when i pitched the dry lager yeast. Am i dreaming to think that i could up the gravity once i have pitched the yeast? i wanted it around 4-5%

2. Summer Ale, 4kg of pale ale and 500g wheat. 38L, 68degs for 90 mins, boil for 90mins, reduced to 22L and cubed. this brew has an OG of 1025 and it very bitter. i havent pitched the yeast yet, do i have a chance of upping the alcohol %? i was thinking if i add extra powdered malt that i have. i have either 500g of light malt or 1kg of dark unhopped spraymalt. if i add either of these, am i going to ruin everything?

Thanks

DrinkBeer

I think you have made some nice mild strength beers.

You could add additional malt, however I would tend to leave as is for beer number 1. Number 2 is might low for an OG, maybe add some malt to up the OG.

Maybe look into getting a good mill, or buy your grain bill crushed from your LHBS.

I suspect you are not getting a good crush hence minimal sugar extraction, hence the low OG's inparticular in that you are reducing your initial batch of 38L down to low 20-ish L batches.

You need to get properly cracked grain, you've got very low efficiency and I'll bet the crush is the problem.

There's plenty of retailers that will crack grain for you, you have Gryphon Brewing in Perth who has everything you need, and all the sponsors deliver. You could add extract if you want, boil it in some water first to dissolve it easier, cool and add to your beer.

I once cracked 3 kg of pilsner with a rolling pin and had the same issue. It was a partial so adding extra malt was no big thing but for AG you need to crack it (or get it cracked properly) in order to get what you're chasing. Brew another with properly cracked grian - make it higher gravity then blend together for secondary ferment.

Otherwise as suggested - treat it as a mild and make another.

Back