Ag Gear.... What Do I Need?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cheers,

To insert a link the "insert link" button above the reply box.

Cheers, Pok

So a few things have been done to my AG setup lately. I have put (or will soon anyway) put the photos in the Gallery for the sake of flowing on from the following photos etc in this thread here is some more.

Brew Stand:

I rearranged things a little as I figured I should use the sheet of SS that i scored as a bench to give me some space to work with and will have to now make a stand for my kettle but that will be nice and easy. I have also run plumbing around the stand so I can have access to water at both ends.
_1.jpg

Mash Tun:

Installed my MashMaster weldless thermometer and drilled a new hole for the ball valve as I wanted it at the from and just covered the other hole back up with the flug that was in it when I bought it. Only thing left to do is it run some hose from the drain to the valve (I will put a pic up later so this makes sense)

tun.jpg _2.jpg

HLT:

Ripped the element out of a cheap coles kettle and mounted that in the wall of my HLT. The temp probe for my MashMate will go through the threaded hole that was already in the wall and I have made a new drain in the bottom allowing me to drain the entire contents on the HLT. I just used a skin fitting (boating suppies) for the drain like I did on the tun.

_5.jpg element.jpg

Kettle:

Finally the kettle has recieved its long awaited coat of fire engine red paint and when dry I will take a photo of it finished. I am thinking of making a new stand for the kettle an installing a drain in the bottom like my HLT so I can drain everything out, the current valves is too high.

kettle.jpgpainting.jpg

Cheers, Pok

Here is the Kettle now painted. Now to make a stand so I can put a drain in the bottom.

From This:
Front.jpg

To This:
painted.jpg

Pok

POK,

Can you giv emore info on the skin fitting from the boating supplies - eg does it have hole sin it and if so what size are they...

Any chance of some pics of just the skin fitting...

Thanks

Ken...

POK,

Can you giv emore info on the skin fitting from the boating supplies - eg does it have hole sin it and if so what size are they...

Thanks

Ken...

GMK the skin fittings I used are 1/2". Can take some photos if you want but will have to pull it apart. For the moment you can find info here.

Cost me $17.95.....a bloody arm and a leg!!!!

The skin fitting is hollow with a flange at the top (with a o-ring below.....although the second one was missing the o-ring...not happy!!!). Hope this makes sense.

If you want to know anything else just let me know.

Cheers, Pok

POK,

Thanks

Ken...
G'day Kenny,
Here are a couple of piccy's of my skin fitting before I mounted it in my mash tun.
Cheers
Doug
DCP_3858.JPGDCP_3859.JPG

Thanks Guys :)

What is the False bottom you are using in the mash tun POK.

Can you also give some pics of that.

Thanks Guys :)

What is the False bottom you are using in the mash tun POK.

Can you also give some pics of that.

GMK. The false bottom is a normal SS circular one, I bought it from Gryphon Brewing in W.A. Gryphon (Ross stocks them normally as well Craftbrewer).

Seeing as my tun has a drain in the bottom I just drilled a hole in the bottom of the tun and put a SS bolt in from underneath which I locked of with a nut and washer...the bolt then goes through the false bottom and I used a washer and nut to keep the false bottom in place (hope this makes sense). I was thinking of replacing the top nut with a wing nut to make it easier to remove.

bolt.jpg

Pok

A bit of an update.

I got my camlocks, hosing and mounted my march pump. Finally finished my mash tun so now all I have to do is seal and tighten all the piping joins and get my hands on the electrical fittings. So getting closer :D

Stand.jpg
I added and extra sheet of peg board, I will mount the control box on this and also hang any other tools etc on it I need while brewing.

_6.jpg
March pump installed with hosing and camlocks

_7.jpg

_2.jpg
Hosing on the inside of the mash tun. Now finished :D

Cheers, Pok

NOTE: More photos can be found in my Album

Jeez Pok, at the end of all this the only thing left to do will be the easy part - learning to brew ;)

Looks good though!! :beer:

Jeez Pok, at the end of all this the only thing left to do will be the easy part - learning to brew ;)
Looks good though!! :beer:

Yep thats deffinatley on the agenda :p Lets hope I dont try it and go "well that was a waste of time" :p

Pok

So finally got the brew stand into the garage and got to mounting my control box on the wall and installing the hosing for my HLT.

All that is left to do now is to install some switches in the control box for the HLT and March Pump, Put a 15 Amp outlet on our power board and buy some extension leads. Then its brew time. Hopefully buy that gear this week or next and get the ball rolling by the end of the month. (fingers crossed)

Anyway here is some pics.

Control box mounted on wall with HLT controller mounted (not wired up yet)
Mounted_box.jpg

Power "Inlet" this will be fed by an extension lead from a outlet in the garage.
Inlet.jpg

In addition to the outlet on the front (which will be used for a light or something small....just a spare outlet) these outlets are for the HLT and March Pump
Plugs.jpg

Hose installed on the outlet/tap of the HLT. All ready to go :D. Actually just got to make a lid of some description.
Hose.jpg

Cheers, Pok

P.S. Has only taken over 12 months :p

Alrighty.

Switches mounted into the control box finally.

Now just to get my leco mate to check my wiring and make a pickup tube for my kettle and its brew time :D

front.jpg

Pok

G'day folks,

Well the Pokolbing Brew Haus had to stay in Pokolbin when I moved down to Adelaide (1600kms away) so a couple of uni mates and I are piecing together a basic brew rig to get back into AG while we are here and I thought I would post the rig etc in this thread so if anyone else is keen to do similar they can have a look.

Scored some cheap mayo style buckets up today from the local fish and chips shop ($4ea with lids) and quickly went to work on them...I now have a mash tun....just have to drill a hole to put a hose through and put a valve on the hose..simple as!!

At the moment this is how far I have gotten:

Dilling holes in the bottom of one of the buckets. This bucket sits inside the other instead of using a "false bottom"

1.jpg 2.jpg

I bought a cheap ($5.99) camping mat from "Sam's Warehouse"...cut to size and "duct" taped around the buckets and lid

3.jpg 4.jpg

Sitting nicely inside each other..
5.jpg

Now just for the hose. Will do the same idea as Grain and grape do in this pic...

g.jpg

I'll let you all know how it goes. Should do the job nicely I think :D

Total cost should be around the $20 mark or less.

Cheers, Pok

Nice work Pok, good to see you are keeping with the AG down south. You knocked this AG gear up quicker than your rig at home :p

Nice work Pok, good to see you are keeping with the AG down south. You knocked this AG gear up quicker than your rig at home :p

Yeh I know, its most probably because now I know what I'm missing out on!!

Jeez Pok, what are you up to?

Why aren't you brewing in a bag?

Cheers mate,
Pat

Hey Pok,

Why not lined the inner bucket with a voile bag, then just lift the bucket out to/then sparge?

I don't know, just a thought - brew in some buckets - BISB! hahaha!!

It WOULD work!

Hey Pok,

Why not lined the inner bucket with a voile bag, then just lift the bucket out to/then sparge?

I don't know, just a thought - brew in some buckets - BISB! hahaha!!

It WOULD work!

Interesting idea you have there Cocko.

What is this "Voile" stuff anyway ? and where does it come from???

Pok

Back