Ag Brewing Equipment

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RichardR

Reaction score
This is my first posting but have been reading with interest all the postings while doing kit brews.
I am now over kit brews and intend to go AG starting with brewing in a bag and see how I go.
I have most of the equipment required and am now up to deciding on cooling the wort after boiling, most of you seem to use copper coil cooling, this is an option but was considering a "ChillOut Wort cooler" from one of the sponsers.
Has anyone any idea of the relative cooling capacity of these units??, is it necessary to circulate the wort with the chill out unit or is it possible to obtain either tap water/ chilled water temperature with one slow pass??
Any information on this subject would be appreciated.

Thanks
RichardR.

Never used the unit mentioned but it looks like a commercial counterflow chiller.

I just got a length of copper coil from the hardware store and clamped a hose to each end. I have since added another shorter length of coil for use as a prechiller.

$140+ to me seems like a high price for something that cost me about $30.

Never used the unit mentioned but it looks like a commercial counterflow chiller.

I just got a length of copper coil from the hardware store and clamped a hose to each end. I have since added another shorter length of coil for use as a prechiller.

It's a different design, a plate chiller, which are more efficient than a simple counterflow chiller.

But anyway, you can just use copper coil for an immersion chiller, or just buy yourself a plastic cube and no-chill :p

Hi Josh,
I don't know when you purchased your copper pipe but the current Bunnings price is $10.70/metre and 18m roll $ 175. Therefore I estimate at least 12 coils plus tails exceeds the $140 for the heat exchanger, what is the amount of pipe in your system??
Richard

i got my roll for around $30 at BBC. Only used the chiller once and hated it. No chill is so much easier.

Hi Josh,
I don't know when you purchased your copper pipe but the current Bunnings price is $10.70/metre and 18m roll $ 175. Therefore I estimate at least 12 coils plus tails exceeds the $140 for the heat exchanger, what is the amount of pipe in your system??
Richard
I got 18m for about $25. didn't seem right at the time but I didn't question the chick at the counter.

Hello there is a water shortage on .

Be responsible use the 'No Chill method'

Pumpy :angry:

Copper prices now are as high as they have ever been. See if you know a plumber - trade prices are considerably lower than the Bunnings prices.

my uncle is a plumber and im sure it would still be over $100 and as pumpy said "Water restrictions" and i waste enough water as it is. Im not sure where to get a decent tap from tho that will handle the heat from a burner :unsure: i need a tap bcoz i dont fancy siphoning hot wort .Most probably just no chill as this is a cheaper upgrade. :D

Hello there is a water shortage on .

Be responsible use the 'No Chill method'

Pumpy :angry:

I agree with pumpy.
I can't believe people still use chillers with the shortage we have of water. If you've got tanks and recirculate it back into the tank then i can understand it. But if not..... :blink: :angry: :angry:

There is a lot of lead in the copper you would not want to put that in your boiling wort

Pumpy :huh:

How much lead Pumpy?

Goatherder

Copper these days comes out of China the softer stuff used in immersion coils contains higher levels of lead to make it pliable than normal copper .

US guidelines are based on tests from drinking water , Drinking water is supplied and tested cold .
100 feet of copper in an acidic wort at 100C strips into the surface of the copper thats why it the copper comes out shiney .

Quoting from the US guidlines
" Exposure to lead and copper may cause health problems ranging from stomach distress to brain damage."

If the process is unecessary and can be done without wasting water we brewers should help save water fair enough if they are recirculating the water used in the chiller .

Pumpy :)

Lead and Copper Rule

On June 7, 1991, EPA published a regulation to control lead and copper in drinking water. This regulation is known as the Lead and Copper Rule (also referred to as the LCR or 1991 Rule). Lead and copper enter drinking water primarily through plumbing materials. Exposure to lead and copper may cause health problems ranging from stomach distress to brain damage.

The treatment technique for the rule requires systems to monitor drinking water at customer taps.If lead concentrations exceed an action level of 15 ppb or copper concentrations exceed an action level of 1.3 ppm in more than 10% of customer taps sampled, the system must undertake a number of additional actions to control corrosion. If the action level for lead is exceeded, the system must also inform the public about steps they should take to protect their health and may have to replace lead service lines under their control.

I thought the lead and copper rule was more to do with brass, which contains both copper and lead (copper in alloy with zinc, and little lead globules through it as a type of lubrication).

I'm pretty sure they make lead more pliable by heating it up to a certain temperature (annealing)

I am seriously thinking of removing my copper chiller form my kettle and just no-chilling everything.

THe last couple of batches ive no-chilled have worked out fine.

Its faster too.

cheers

Kingy

Drilling ally is easy - for a tap, just use 2 backnuts, some all thread and a ball valve with hose barb, some silicon or red fiber hot water washers and some threadseal. Up to you whether you use Stainless or Brass really, i use brass with no issues. Set it up with the allthread going into a 21mm hole in the ally - then connect like so

backnut->washer->ally pot wall->washer->backnut->thread->ball valve->hose barb

You can see mine here http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...st&p=135137

SNABS
sensitive new age brewers.
I love it. :p

Big D

There is a lot of lead in the copper you would not want to put that in your boiling wort

Pumpy :huh:

There's no lead in soft copper tube Pumpy, not sure where you heard that one B)

Cheers Ross

Back