AG Brewer with no time, Coopers Bootmaker Pale Ale tips?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SBOB

Reaction score
So I'm currently time poor and the fermenter and keg fridge is empty and I don't have any brewing time coming up, so today while at Woolworths I noticed the 'Thomas Coopers' range of cans was slightly discounted and a
- Coopers Bootmaker Pale Ale (http://store.coopers.com.au/thomas-coopers-bootmaker-pale-ale-1-7kg.html)
made its way into the trolley

As I havent done a K&K brew in ages, any tips on top of the basic 'Kit + 1kg DME' that the instructions state?
Going to use US05 for the yeast

I have sitting around
- Box of Coopers BE2 (would be good to use up if its going to be of any benefit)
- DME
- Heaps of spec grain types
- Heaps of hops types in the freezer

So, any 'this will make it better' tips would be great

APA style?

I'd go 750gms of coopers BE2 and steep 500gms of munich

it says 560IBU's ? is that what the tin is? would a dilution rate x 10ltrs be 56?
that would maybe mean 20ltrs is around 28ibu's?

if the above is somehow near the mark then I'd be throwing in to a 22ltr batch something like another 10IBU's in from a C hop, I'd be looking to get 2 ltrs from the 500gms of munich. Do a 2ltr bring to the boil shut off for 20minutes X amount of C hops and 18ltrs water with the tin

then some 18-20dC dry-hop with another C hop or something

well that's one path - dodgy as it may be :beer:

I was recently gifted a 'Brew A" (IPA) and Mexican Cervesa tin from a mate that's stopped brewing, I used both tins in ~3L boiling water until dissolved then added 50g Cascade left for five, cooled down and topped to 24L with demineralised water.

I also added 1kg rice malt syrup about three days into ferment and dry hopped 2g/l cascade, 1g/l Amarillo @ 19 for 3 days.

I can still faintly detect a slight twang to it, I used plenty of yeast, oxygenated, and fermented at 17c, if I were to try again I'd likely steep some crystal and or do a mini mash with some pale malt or wheat to see if that helped it.

It'd been ages since I'd done a k'n'k as well, and the result is drinkable but not amazing.

Latest posts

Back