increasing steeping grains in extract recpie ?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mongey

Reaction score
so got some bits and peices for putting on a brew this week . I just moved from sydney down south so checked out the local homebrew shop . just a question for my own learning

so made this coopers session IPA recpeie a coupel times before and have mostly the right hops in the fridge so gonna make it again .think I have mosiac instead of bravo this itme .

30 min boil

Strain into a good size pot (around 8 litres) then add 500g of Light Dry Malt plus another 2 litres of water and bring to the boil.

Add Nelson Sauvin hops and boil for 10mins then Galaxy Hops for a further 10mins then Bravo Hops for the final 10mins

so question is the local shop only sold grain in 500g bags. If I was to steep the whole 500g what would it change in the beer flavour wise ? I know it will bump the the alc a little after putting it in the spreadsheet but will I need to tweak anything else ? will increased grain just for the hell of it have any negative effects ?

I was thinking about also putting in 500g dextrose to bump up the alc a little too from just under 5 to 6ish

Personally I wouldn't add the dextrose, either leave or if extra alc needed then add more malt.
Cheers

You could save halve of the grains 250g for your next brew, just bag up and freeze. Just don't crack the grains.

+1 for using half the bag - 250 grams of Crystal is plenty. I used to do a very similar recipe with the Pale Ale can and found that the Dextrose accenuated the kit twang taste. Adding more LDM would boost the ABV without detriment.

No need to freeze grain.

Mosaic is a bloody nice hop, one of my favs in pale ales.

thanks all

grains are already cracked by the store so can't freeze em. will try to keep em fresh and do a quick turn around on another batch

I'll just use half and maybe pick up antoehr 500g of ldm instead of dex

Vac sealing them is the best if can. There really cheap. Or just put it in a sealed container and put them in the fridge

Mongey,

My experience is that its better to use more LDME than using dextrose, as the dex gives a harsher flavour.

Re the grains. I regularly use a grain steep of 1kg+ in a 5litre hot water steep, as it adds great body and head retention as well as flavour/colour.

A basic pale ale mix of mine would be something like:

- 3kg LDME
- a 1kg to 1.5kg grain steep
- 90grams or 2 x 90grams of hops (50% in the boil and 50% as a dry-hop.

Cheer,s

Pete

Latest posts

Back