After Something New

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If yr getting a mill I'd suggest not getting a barley crusher. There's a "barley crusher hell" thread somewhere here, I'm planning on upgrading to a MM2 once I can afford it.

With the grain you do have to prepare for your LHBS guy complaining that he never sees you and you dont love him any more. :wub:

Also if you've ever had any problems with rats you need to be super careful, once they find grain theyll chew through a plastic container to get to it.

With the grain you do have to prepare for your LHBS guy complaining that he never sees you and you dont love him any more. :wub:

Yeah have thought of this several times over the years.

This will come across probably a little harsh, but if he goes out of business, he's got no one to blame but himself.
Honestly, if i can buy grain elsewhere for $2 a kilo (without jumping in on a bulk buy), and i can get 500g of hops for $18 instead of 15g for $5 why the **** am i gonna shop there....At those prices, his hops come in at $330 bucks for the same quantity i can get delivered for around $50-$60.

At those rates, all im doing is going for the "next closest" LHBS which just happens to be a decent All Grain brewers supplier....

Sorry for the off topic, as this stuff has been done to death lately...

A 3D printer, so you can render whatever gear you need in future.

monstermill or crankandstein is the way to go, they're both quality units.

Right then, looks like I'll be buying a mill. Gonna have a look around see what's out there with regards to performance, price etc. Have an old DC motor about the place somewhere too so gonna look into modifying it to run on a motor.

Cheers Guys

Aaron

Right then, looks like I'll be buying a mill. Gonna have a look around see what's out there with regards to performance, price etc. Have an old DC motor about the place somewhere too so gonna look into modifying it to run on a motor.

Cheers Guys

Aaron

Aaron,
I have a barley crusher mill and reckon its great. Hatchy doesnt seem to like them, he has one, so he has form.
But, for my money the barley crusher is good value. I have done over 250kg and its like new. Hatchys is on its last legs though.
Food for thought.

Sorry to bring this up, i don't want to start a fight, i'm just making a remark. :icon_offtopic:

Barley Crusher US$114.50, from the manufacturer.

Barley Crusher AUS $280, from Online Oz supplier.

This is ridiculous. I'd pay $200 i reckon, delivered.

Sorry to bring this up, i don't want to start a fight, i'm just making a remark. :icon_offtopic:

Yeah have sent them an email asking about prices delivered etc. Should be somewhat cheap considering the strength of the Aussie dollar atm

Aaron

Yep grain mill is definately the most over priced piece of brewing gear, how can half a kilo of steel shapped into 3 pieces be worth so much. I just dont get it

Just had a look on the Mill Master website and a MM2 with the hopper and base costs $210 delivered...... I think I know which one I'm getting boys !!!

Aaron

Aaron,
I have a barley crusher mill and reckon its great. Hatchy doesnt seem to like them, he has one, so he has form.
But, for my money the barley crusher is good value. I have done over 250kg and its like new. Hatchys is on its last legs though.
Food for thought.

I do love my barley crusher. It will always be the 1st mill I owned.

If I was buying a new mill now I'd be going with a MM2.

Back