After Something New

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spartan 117

Reaction score
Hey Guy's,

Have a birthday coming up and have been told my all the major relos that I'm getting cash seeing as its "almost impossible to buy things for you (meaning me)" (and here's me thinking I'm just a mere simpleton who enjoys beer). Anyway been thinking I might acquire some new brewing bits and pieces but have no idea what to get. I have all the usual bits and pieces for AG,boil kettle, mash tun, burner, immersion chiller etc. (excluding a barley crusher but I have no use for one atm as I don't yet buy grain in bulk). So I was wondering if you lot could offer up suggestions of things you have that you find useful. Looking along the lines of spending about $100-300 or so.

Sorry about the vagueness of the post but am at a loss as to what to get. sort of tossing up between a march pump, a mash master heat exchanger and some tap fonts. but thought you guys might have some useful ideas.

Cheers

Aaron

I'd buy a mill and a bit of grain if you have the space. It's lovely feeling to know you can brew when ever you want and not have to rely on the homebrew shop, just need to go down to the storeroom.

Do you have kegs or are you still bottling? a simple kegging systems a good way to go but that will blow your budget.

If your hiring a gas bottle then maybe buy one out right? The mill is a good idea also

I'd buy a mill and a bit of grain if you have the space. It's lovely feeling to know you can brew when ever you want and not have to rely on the homebrew shop, just need to go down to the storeroom.

Do you have kegs or are you still bottling? a simple kegging systems a good way to go but that will blow your budget.

Yeah have a few kegs and a fridge etc. True about the barley crusher, just not sure if I'd have the space for it all though. Also due to my current schedule I don't get to brew all that often (once a month maybe if I'm lucky). How easy is it to store grain i.e how long will it last sitting in a barrel in the shed ?

Aaron

on current exchange rate I'd definitely look for the oportunity to pick up a grain mill from USA

this is where I got mine http://www.barleycrusher.com/

turned out cheaper & came with a bigger hopper & a base board when compared to what I could get it for from the local stockist.

on a funny note, the entire $60+ worth of stamps were all individually applied by hand, (some poor bugger has a shit job & a gummy tongue)

After holding out for 2 years I eventually got a mill and now bulk buy, what a difference - it's amazing and I'm thrashing myself for not jumping ship earlier.
Mine's "only" a Marga but with a good variable speed drill and some fancy funnel and chute work thanks to Bunnings plastic bits, crushing is a breeze.
If you can go for a better mill, then that's fine - but any mill will be a step up.
Also it will make you feel far more artisanal.
B)

I would recommend:

- An electric immersion element
- Refractometer

Plus the mill for sure.

All my grain is confined to two large storage containers that stack nicely on top of each other. So end of the day doesn't take up all that much space. Try to get your self on the next bulk grain buy here. You can get 50kg of your base malts for between $70 and 100 depending on the type you get.

i have a hand cranked victoria mill which gives me a nice 20 min work out on brew day, but I would go for a roller mill if I were you.

I keep 1 bag of ale, 1 of pilsen in 1 box and then various amounts of your specialties in the other. Never had any storage problems, just try to get something as airtight as possible. But I've never kept it long enough to go off.

If you have it all there you will probably brew more often, its really nice not to be reliant on getting to the brew store.

Also it will make you feel far more artisanal.

If you put a waterwheel in a stream to run your mill and wear a dusty leather apron while brewing you're allowed to use this word. :lol:

If you have a RIMS or a HERMS setup then you can also use this word, but you must drop the first five letters and then use it. :p

Mill + refractometer + then jump in on the next melbourne grain bulk buy

Mate, Id go for a big ticket item as it can be re-sold if you move on to something else or upgrade. That way the gift lives on in another form and saves the pain of a big $ purchase.
Things like March pump, Gas bottle, fonts & taps etc. Anything over $100 is big to me anyway.Im sure you get the picture. :icon_cheers:
Daz

I love how I said in the op that I DID NOT WANT A GRAIN MILL, yet you pricks have convinced me to get one. LOL

Cheers

Have sent an email to those guys in the USA Father Jack Hackett, I'll also look into the ones they have at grain and grape.

Also any idea how much a bag of standard pale malt is worth, can only find kilo or gram prices through the usual conveyers

Thanks again guys

Aaron

I love how I said in the op that I DID NOT WANT A GRAIN MILL, yet you pricks have convinced me to get one. LOL

Cheers

Have sent an email to those guys in the USA Father Jack Hackett, I'll also look into the ones they have at grain and grape.

Also any idea how much a bag of standard pale malt is worth, can only find kilo or gram prices through the usual conveyers

Thanks again guys

Aaron

I feel good having changed someones brewing life today :D

Prices from craftbrewer - bulk buys are really worth it if you can get into it. Cut and paste didn't work, follow the link :)
http://www.craftbrewer.com.au/shop/details.asp?PID=869

Cheers

Thanks again guys

Aaron

$31.00 for Joe White Traditional Ale in the last bulk buy. You only missed it by half a week which is a shame.
I bought 3 80L olive drums from Cellar Plus on Cooper St to store mine in.
If you buy 3 or more they are $15 each.
Paul.

Cheers

Thanks again guys

Aaron

Also check out Monster Mill

I have an MM2, one of my favorite bits of kit. You'll land one at a good price with the dollar the way it is atm. :icon_cheers:

Im with the voters for the grain mill.

Part of that is where i live though...I'm in regional south australia, bottom right corner actually. And there is only one home brew store here. He is massively overpriced on fuckin' everything so i don't go there unless i'm caught out by lack of planning my brews. He only sells "grain" by the 500g bag and hops are $5 for a 15g "finishing" tea bag piece of shit. He is however very similar to other shops for yeasts...

I used to rely on having to buy my recipes pre cracked and freighted interstate (didn't know about Beerbelly before this).

Now i have a mill, i buy grain by the sack, and can brew whenever the hell i want to and make my own recipes up. And it's retardedly cheap too. Once you buy the mill, you're pretty much in front in savings once you get through the first bag.

I've got a Crankandstein 2 roller mill and i love it. Have headr the Monster Mills are very similar/the same etc...

Definitely go the mill, you'll end up saving a shitload of coin, (not that it's necessarily "your money"), and you can brew with the freedom of not having to order or collect your grain.
I quite often come from work and without planning, sometimes think, Hmmm, i've got a few hours up my sleve, what am i gonna do tonight. "i know, i'll knock out a batch of beer". Awesome....

Nath

Latest posts

Back