After Counterflow Ice Water

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DonMac

Reaction score
Hi all, With summer upon us , it is not easy to drop the wort temp. quickly and low enough to pitch larger yeast . Firstly, I previously have a counter flow chiller connected to the boiler through which I pass bore water (From my back yard bore) at the max., flow possible through the chiller apprx., 25 lts per min. The bore water temp. is 19 deg. all year round, and the wort flow into the fermenter was 21deg. I tried several ways to drop it quickly from 21 Deg., to pitchable larger temp. over my brewing years and have found something that really does work for me now. Where I used to flow the wort from the c/f chiller directly into the fermenter, now at that point I connect a mini coil in an ice bath (inside a cut off spring water bottle). So the wort travels through the c/f/c then on through the ice bath on to the fermentor. In the pics below you will see a thermometor , its probe is inserted through the wall to give a constant reading. By uping the the waterfow or decreasing the wort flow the disired temp. can be maintained. I post this infomation for any one having problems , hope it is of interest and put to good use. Any aha brewers in Adelaide West. (on the Adelaide Plains) that wants information on how to dig your own bore (about 5 mts deep) I have the gear and it is available on loan free . Hope pics work out Ist attempt . Pm me if interested on the bore info. DonMac.

Hi all, With summer upon us , it is not easy to drop the wort temp. quickly and low enough to pitch larger yeast . Firstly, I previously have a counter flow chiller connected to the boiler through which I pass bore water (From my back yard bore) at the max., flow possible through the chiller apprx., 25 lts per min. The bore water temp. is 19 deg. all year round, and the wort flow into the fermenter was 21deg. I tried several ways to drop it quickly from 21 Deg., to pitchable larger temp. over my brewing years and have found something that really does work for me now. Where I used to flow the wort from the c/f chiller directly into the fermenter, now at that point I connect a mini coil in an ice bath (inside a cut off spring water bottle). So the wort travels through the c/f/c then on through the ice bath on to the fermentor. In the pics below you will see a thermometor , its probe is inserted through the wall to give a constant reading. By uping the the waterfow or decreasing the wort flow the disired temp. can be maintained. I post this infomation for any one having problems , hope it is of interest and put to good use. Any aha brewers in Adelaide West. (on the Adelaide Plains) that wants information on how to dig your own bore (about 5 mts deep) I have the gear and it is available on loan free . Hope pics work out Ist attempt . Pm me if interested on the bore info. DonMac.
Just curious what you do with the waste water from the bore if it's running at 25Ltrs per minute? That's a lot of wasted water, regardless of where it comes from!
I guess if you had a tank, this would be a great solution for those with access to bore water.

Just curious what you do with the waste water from the bore if it's running at 25Ltrs per minute? That's a lot of wasted water, regardless of where it comes from!
I guess if you had a tank, this would be a great solution for those with access to bore water.

I would think even if you fed it onto the garden it would eventually make its way back to the bore... eventually. Can't really see much waste in that at all, less the electricity for the pump. Wish I had a bore, like... water on tap.

Hutch, The bore pumps 60 lts p/ min , about 3500lts p/hr, so while my wort is running so are 3 sprinklers watering the back yard. The water from cfc also goes to the garden. The bore water here is of good quality, nothing wasted. DonMac

Hutch, The bore pumps 60 lts p/ min , about 3500lts p/hr, so while my wort is running so are 3 sprinklers watering the back yard. The water from cfc also goes to the garden. The bore water here is of good quality, nothing wasted. DonMac
Lucky buggers!
I presume it's not too hot, the spent water from the cfc? When I last used mine, the waste-water was hot enough for me to kill the weeds in the car port!
I guess at 25Ltrs/min it can't be too hot, huh?

Hatch, I just replied to you under my sons login on my compter under his user name gbrewer, he had been on and I was unaware It was Donmac repling to you Donmac

How is the plastic tubeing that passes through the brass fitting in the ice bath sealed ? Steve.

The pic shows how ot seals. Select an O ring tight on the tube and interferance fit to the inside of the brass thread and work the O ring inside.

Latest posts

Back