Son of a....

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pnorkle

Reaction score
Bitch.

So, after a bit of a hiatus from brewing (K&K or AG) partly because I thought my fermenter might need replacing (due to a few off flavours I've had in KK &AG brews) I decided to replace the fermenter & at the same time, bought a Kit from Muntons & a "recipe" kit for my GF. I wanted to get a K&K under my belt before I hit the AG.

So, on Saturday, I did the usual - cleaned & sterilised my brand new fermenter after putting the tap & o-ring in, and then prepared the cans of goo & re-hydrated the supplied yeast.

After doing the work (if you can call "adding a couple of cans of goo to some hot water & mixing it up" work) I placed the fermenter in my (also newly replaced) chest freezer, with the temp set @ 18 deg C to let it cool before adding my yeast. Go out to check 4 or 5 hours later & the freezer is turned off. Son of a bitch - the temp controller has failed & the freezer is sitting at around 28 deg - ambient. What to do? F*ck it - let's just take the lot out of the freezer & put it on the laundry bench. And add the yeast. Not the ideal temp, I know, but at least I'll have beer. Yeast added, all good - put the lid on, and *gently* insert the airlock into the rubber grommet just recently installed. Hmm... it's a little tight, I might have to push harder... Son.of.a.BITCH - the grommet pushes through the hole & lands in the wort.

Now I'm no expert, but I'm guessing that rubber grommet has all my yummy germs all over it after pushing it into the hole in the lid of the fermenter.

What do to. F*ck it. RDWH A bought Beer.

I'll know in about a week or two if it was a waste of time, money & effort.

Cheers!!

Edit: CSB? Yeah, fair enough :)

take off the lid and apply glad wrap

you be glad you did....

images.jpg

Maheel that is both glorious and terrible.

Pnorkle, I think it was Yob who dropped a rubber band in his fermentor after pitching, and it turned out okay. See how you go.

Thanks guys, and Maheel - yeah, I know, but I been a resistin'

mtb said:
Maheel that is both glorious and terrible.

Pnorkle, I think it was Yob who dropped a rubber band in his fermentor after pitching, and it turned out okay. See how you go.
He dropped an o-ring in a cube of mine at a case swap and it turned out infected.

Two sides to every story. Everyone else's and the miserable pessimist everyone tries to ignore. When fancy dress parties come round, I consider going as Eyeore but usually just end up staying home.

That sucks pnorkle. A bit you can figure out though.

When you sanitise - with Starsan of similar? - do you soak/cover everything? Fermenter and tap, transfer hose, lid without O-ring removed, grommet, airlock? It works will if you just have 5L of sanitiser solution in the bottom of the FV and chuck everything else in to let it's sit. Assemble your airlock and grommet before putting your lid on, discard your sanitiser and you're set. With luck it was sanitised anyway.

Is your controller stuffed or your freezer? Can test in not connected to anything, and if the relays don't click in/out then yeah it must be. And obviously freezer can plug straight into the wall to test.

Stay positive. Or maybe it's a sign that you should grabbing another kit and rehydrate a Mangrove Jack's yeast instead?

On the plus side, you didn't spend 8 hours of brewing and cleaning effort only to trip at the finish line.

Adr_0 said:
That sucks pnorkle. A bit you can figure out though.

When you sanitise - with Starsan of similar? - do you soak/cover everything? Fermenter and tap, transfer hose, lid without O-ring removed, grommet, airlock? It works will if you just have 5L of sanitiser solution in the bottom of the FV and chuck everything else in to let it's sit. Assemble your airlock and grommet before putting your lid on, discard your sanitiser and you're set. With luck it was sanitised anyway.

Is your controller stuffed or your freezer? Can test in not connected to anything, and if the relays don't click in/out then yeah it must be. And obviously freezer can plug straight into the wall to test.

Stay positive. Or maybe it's a sign that you should grabbing another kit and rehydrate a Mangrove Jack's yeast instead?
Hi Adrian - yeah, everything sanitised with Starsan prior to, and then after assembly.. BUT what I normally do with the fermenter (like a lot of people, I'm sure) is put a couple of litres of Starsan solution in it, put the lid on, cover up the grommet hole with my thumb and then shake like crazy, before pouring out the solution again. I've got a fairly good chance of getting away with it, time will tell I guess.

As for the temp controller - yeah, it's that not the freezer - ordered a new one off Ebay yesterday, should have it in a few days time.

Yob said:
Aah yes, I recall that... Vaguely, I may have also been quite drunk..
#hangsheadinshame
There's no chance either of us were sober.

There's also a good chance you've more than made up for it (not that you ever needed to) and neither of us ate pizza we found at the bus stop so win win.

Back