Aeration

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moultan

Reaction score
Hey ...

I thought I would try to aerate my wort as I was pouring it into the fermenter by splahing and pouring water in from a height.. Wort was still 30 degrees, now I have have just read wort must we chilled before doing this as it can cause oxidation.. omg

I have wort in chiller now bringing it down to ferment temp and pitching ...

should I be worried about oxidation??

cheers

Hey ...

I thought I would try to aerate my wort as I was pouring it into the fermenter by splahing and pouring water in from a height.. Wort was still 30 degrees, now I have have just read wort must we chilled before doing this as it can cause oxidation.. omg

I have wort in chiller now bringing it down to ferment temp and pitching ...

should I be worried about oxidation??

cheers

It'll be fine - when people talk about oxidation from hot side aeration they mean hot, not warm. I regually do this when I can't get my AG's any cooler than the temp of the tap water and its 30C outside. Haven't noticed any stale flavours yet.

Now should I be worried about letting it sit in the fermenter and in the fridge over night to cooldown... I was waiting for the wort to hit correct temp before pitching yeast

cheerz

Now should I be worried about letting it sit in the fermenter and in the fridge over night to cooldown... I was waiting for the wort to hit correct temp before pitching yeast

cheerz

Pitch yeast as soon as you can ... in my experience it's best to pitch as say 24C and wack it in the fridge rather than wait 12 hours for it to drop and then add the yeast.

Pitch yeast as soon as you can ... in my experience it's best to pitch as say 24C and wack it in the fridge rather than wait 12 hours for it to drop and then add the yeast.

+1

When you oxygenate your wort with "air" then you are also innoculating it with every microbe in that air. Get the yeast in asap!

Just for fun, tip 100ml of wort into a cup and leave it out on the kitchen bench for a day - see what happens to it.

With Ale brewing, some high floccing yeasts such as Yorkshire strains (Ringwood, 1469 etc) like to be coaxed a bit and - as with the Yorkshire Stone Square system - given a good thrashing a couple of times a day for the first two or three days to get them oxygenated and roused:

aerator.JPG

I also use the splash from a height method initially, pitch low to mid 20s with ales but then as soon as there are signs of activity, drag them down to fermentation temps, e.g. 18 or 16 whatever.

Back