Advice On Rip Recipe

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hefty

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I'm keen to come up with a decent RIP so I had a look on the recipe DB and found only one russian imperial stout recipe by Peas and Corn.
I like the look of it but I'm after half the volume and I really want a chocolatey, almost liquerish finish so can I please get some advice/suggestions/feedback on the following:

in 22 L
4.5kg ale malt
1.5kg med crystal
1.5kg caraaroma (just because I looooove it!)
1.5kg wheat malt
.5kg roasted barley
.5kg choc chit (for the less acrid, more chocolatey taste)

Bittered to around 65-70 IBU with something neutral and maybe a small 15 minute addition for some hop flavour.
Any advice or personal opinions on hops here would be appreciated. I'm looking for something with a high enough AA% that I don't have to buy a tonne of it but low enough co-humulone that it's not really harsh at high levels (although I've never brewed an RIP before so I don't know if I'll actually notice in amongst everything else that will be going on for flavour). For the flavour addition I'll probably go with something british or european first time and if it works I may try an american variety next time.

Also, I don't have any brewing software on this computer. Could someone please give me a rough OG and FG estimate for that grain bill in 22L?

HABAHAGD! :icon_cheers:
Jono.

Hey guys,
I'm keen to come up with a decent RIP so I had a look on the recipe DB and found only one russian imperial stout recipe by Peas and Corn.
I like the look of it but I'm after half the volume and I really want a chocolatey, almost liquerish finish so can I please get some advice/suggestions/feedback on the following:

in 22 L
4.5kg ale malt
1.5kg med crystal
1.5kg caraaroma (just because I looooove it!)
1.5kg wheat malt
.5kg roasted barley
.5kg choc chit (for the less acrid, more chocolatey taste)

Bittered to around 65-70 IBU with something neutral and maybe a small 15 minute addition for some hop flavour.
Any advice or personal opinions on hops here would be appreciated. I'm looking for something with a high enough AA% that I don't have to buy a tonne of it but low enough co-humulone that it's not really harsh at high levels (although I've never brewed an RIP before so I don't know if I'll actually notice in amongst everything else that will be going on for flavour). For the flavour addition I'll probably go with something british or european first time and if it works I may try an american variety next time.

Also, I don't have any brewing software on this computer. Could someone please give me a rough OG and FG estimate for that grain bill in 22L?

Jono.

- i may have misread your post but it seems like a mish mash of recipes and ingredients
- RIP? rusisan imperial porter? I assume your after something more like a baltic porter - bjcp link to style
- RIS bjcp style is here
- there are quite a few RIS recipes on AHB, just search for them. they may not be listed in the database.
- as for volume, why not just scale it back to meet your volume requirements? ie half it.
- 1.5kg of caraaoma? holy crap on a cracker.
- id still throw some regular choc in there. just a little bit. or some cacoa nibs in secondary if you want a choc porter.
- licorice flavour...you coould cheat and you some licorice extract.
- the wheat addition is throwing me. why wheat? IMO, you'd be better off with munich/vienna/ amber or brown malt or a combo of them.
- any hop will do as its not meant to be about the hops. its about the big malt and balanced bitterness, not hop flavour persay. hell you could use POR if you wanted for bittering and if dead keen on flavouring additions use a more subtle hop.

I assume that by RIP, you mean an Imperial Porter? Advise would depend on what you what as a base style. I'm also thinking that that is alot of Roast for 22L.
edit: CM2's covered most of my thoughts on this already.

I assume that by RIP, you mean an Imperial Porter? Advise would depend on what you what as a base style. I'm also thinking that that is alot of Roast for 22L.
edit: CM2's covered most of my thoughts on this already.
im suprised your not telling him to use some rye! although.......

im suprised your not telling him to use some rye! although.......
also with 10kg of grain (and about 1kg of spec malt not contributing much in the way of fermentable sugars), your probably only going to get OG1065-1070 so your probably going to need more base malt to hit imperial % strength (ie 10%)

if your making a porter 8-9% is plenty IMO

Embarrassment!!!! I totally meant RIS that whole time :rolleyes: sorry!
CM2: yeah it is a mish mash of other recipes I've seen.
The wheat is just my head retention grain of choice but I have likely scaled it up too much. I might re-scale a few things, try some vienna instead of wheat and scale back the caraaroma.
Oh, and I meant liquer-ish, not licorice ;)

I might search for a few more recipes (in the forums, not the database) and see what i can come back with.

Thanks for the advice!

Jono.

Latest posts

Back