Adjusting ibu is it better to adj hop amounts or boiling times

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bonk1972

Reaction score
Im been making APA with ibu ranging from 30 to 38 ibu and wanting to lower ibu down to 20 to 28 by either less boiling time or less bittering hops... i would like everyone's suggestions thanks

You can do either. Depends what you're after.
If you move some of your early additions to later, you'll get more hop flavour

yep. we've got a bit of a theme today regarding hop addition timings! Like I said in another thread, if you add the same amount of hops later you will get less bitterness and more flavour. If you reduce the amount of 60 minute additions only you just reduce the bitterness. So depends if you want to add more hop flavour or not. Also, when you say less boiling time, you still want to boil your wort for a good hour if you are doing all grain. Sorry if you already knew this!

There's also a change in the quality of bitterness and palate texture but with APA that's less important than in other beers.

Lyrebird_Cycles said:
There's also a change in the quality of bitterness and palate texture but with APA that's less important than in other beers.
I've never done a side-by-side comparison but it sounds a bit like the effect of cables in a HIFI system i.e. all in the head.

Lyrebird_Cycles said:
Can you elaborate on this a bit more mate? I've moved right away from boil additions and have been super happy with my results. Generally I've been adding hops at 5min and flameout. I've been wondering why hops are added early in the boil so frequently, after the great results I've had. Is it purely for hop 'efficiency' or is there a better reason for it?

Thanks coodgee for your post more flavor less bitter is what im after and im not allgrain im full extract as it takes me long enough now to brew allgrain would take all day... lol..

Depends on what hops you are using and AA% but, try to use enough at around 20 mins to get around half your target IBU's and then load up at flameout. I find you get a very smooth bitterness and more hop flavour. You can even do nothing but flameout hops & let it stand for 20mins before you chill. You use more hops but get better flavour IMO

BKBrews said:
Can you elaborate on this a bit more mate? I've moved right away from boil additions and have been super happy with my results. Generally I've been adding hops at 5min and flameout. I've been wondering why hops are added early in the boil so frequently, after the great results I've had. Is it purely for hop 'efficiency' or is there a better reason for it?
I am no expert, but I did used to mash brew in the early/mid 80's. back then, all hops that I bought were hop flowers rather than pellets, so maybe this has something to do with the 1 hour hop boil.

I'm sure somebody much more knowledgable will come along and explain.

I think Coodgee answered the question to a T but...

Lyrebird_Cycles said:
not sure about quality of bitterness (more pronounced from early addition?) but i guess palate texture relates to head retention and mouth feel from late addition hop oils? Come on LC dont leave us hangin!

I'd still really love to know. I've all but ditched 60min additions, so if that's not necessarily the way to go then I need to know!

Back