Adding more dextrose during fermentation

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trent0

Reaction score
Hi guys, i am very new to this, but enjoying the process.
I started a brew yesterday, (coopers pale ale) with a 500g dextrose mix.
Approx what alcohol % can i expect from this?
Also,
Can another 500g bag be put in to the brew, (successfully) during fermentation?
Thanks,
Trent

Would turn out around mid strength like Gold. If you are going to add more dex, do so during the first three days of fermentation so that the beer quickly restores the layer of CO2 over the surface. Any later than that and you risk getting infections into the vessel by opening it.

Thanks for the help,
Would you suggest to dilute the dextrose in water or sprinkle over the top,
Also,
Do you stir it in ?
Thanks

TrentO. Consider adding some dry malt extract instead of dextrose. Will result in a tastier, fuller bodied brew.

Dissolve the dex or DME in water and boil for 10 minutes to sanitise. Cool the saucepan with the lid on then add to the fermenter. No real need to mix.

Assuming the OP didn't boil his water when mixing up the kit in the first place, there seems little point in boiling the water used to dissolve an additional 500g pack of dextrose (or malt powder if you want to go that way).

I'd just dissolve it as best I could in cold water, add a little heat if needed, and pour in to fermentor.

Thanks for the advice,
After looking at the infection thread, i won't risk it
i will brew as is, and just do the 1kg mix next time.

Don't get too paranoid about infection. Its a lot harder to infect beer than wort, and its beer that you've now got. People take the top of their fermenters all the time to add hops at the end of fermentation. Doing it mid-way through the active fermentation shouldn't be a problem as long as you are quick and clean about it.

And if your added dex solution is warmer than the beer (as it probably will be), the beer will belch out some of the dissolved CO2 to blanket the surface.

Good luck with it.

I didn't add anything in the end.
Hydrometer initial reading was 1040 when i made brew on the 31st
The airlock is all quiet now.
Tonight it is 1015 .
How long until i transfer into cube and put in fridge?
I will keg not bottle.
Thanks

Back