Adding Hop Pellets To Bottles

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jimbo9

Reaction score
I am ready to bottle a tuocan Cascade lager kit (with 250g LDME) and was think about adding hops directly into the bottles for some extra flavour/aroma.

Will this risk infection?
If not is one pellet per stubbie ok?

thanks jim

Good stuff,

The only filter you need for beer is your front teeth!

Infections aren't really an issue with hops, the hops will actually help fight possible infections. I have never bottle hopped, but I suggest you experiment with a batch. May get grassy over time.

I've never tryed what you are suggesting, but after the mess created simply brewing with pellets i would only think about doing this with proper hop flowers (or parts thereof as a whole flower might be a little too much per bottle).

Much easier to remove when you are ready to drink, simply pour the beer into a glass and discard the flower.

I added 10g of amarillo in with my bulk prime for a pale ale once. It tasted like I threw cut grass in........... I will never do that again!

Bought a heap of Newport pellets on special from Ross, and note that they are quite small compared to the usual Aus / NZ pellets and thought "hmm, ideal to pop one into each bottle". Will be bottling a pom Best Bitter early next week and might do half of them to see how it turns out. In the case of the bitter it would be analagous to dry hopping the cask. ESB brews have carried over some hop material into the bottle and it seemed to settle ok (greenish sediment :eek: which looks suss in a clear PET bottle :D )

Thanks for the replies

I think i'll try it out in half of them to see

jim

Back