Adding Hop At 0 Mins Means What?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

binoose

Reaction score
  • hi,
  • got a quick question on the recipe database:
  • when it says to add the hops at 0 min, does it mean dry hoping in the secondary? or add the hop at then end of the boil and leave it for how long?
  • thanks!
  • binoose

0 min means flame out hops, unless otherwise stated. Chuck em in after you turn off the boil. I usually wait about 5 mins after flameout to add them and then let them sit for a good 10 mins before I start to chill.

However, in the recipe database, as there is no 'dry hop' option for hop additions, several brewers will put the dry hops down as 0 min additions and will state in the notes that the x gram addition at 0 min is actually dry hop.

Cheers
Phil

edit: Here are two examples of recipes using the 0 min hops as dry hops
LCPA Clone
DSGA

end of the boil. i generally turn off then whirlpool which takes about 15 or so minutes.

If you are full-mash brewing and also use no-chill in a cube then you can add "zero minute" hop addition to the cube - preferably put it in first and run the hot wort onto it.

It means aroma!

Turn the flame off, add your hops, gently stir with a sanitised spoon to create whirlpool, allow to settle, chill + transfer to fermenter.

It means aroma!

Turn the flame off, add your hops, gently stir with a sanitised spoon to create whirlpool, allow to settle, chill + transfer to fermenter.

Thanks, and after it is infused in the wort do you have to filter it out ? or do you use an 'hop sock' ?

Thanks, and after it is infused in the wort do you have to filter it out ? or do you use an 'hop sock' ?
with the whirlpool, it should all settle to the bottom. my kettle has a domed bottom so I can drain from the tap (which is a couple of cm from the bottom) without collecting hops.

Some people use a "hop-screen" on their tap, or I've heard of people sticking a bit of steel wool (the one without the soap) in the tube of the tap.

But yes, you generally want to leave the excess hops in the kettle.

Up to you really if you are using pellets they should fall out to the bottom during fermentation. If you are worried about hop bits or if you want to reuse the yeastcake for another brew then you could use a hopsock. A ladies stocking cut up will make you a dirt cheap hopsock.

Latest posts

Back