Adding Honey During Fermentation

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jye

Hop Junky
Reaction score
Whos done it and how?

Im brewing a braggot next and plan on getting fermentation started with the base beer (about 1.050) and then add the 2.5 kg of honey during fermentation. However Ive got a feeling if I just tip it in it will sink and sit on the bottom. I also plan on adding it in equal lots over 3 days.

Whats everyone elses experience?

Never done it and never read about it.... but it may help with dispersion into the fermenting beer if you pre-dilute the honey.

I've never made a braggot but that sounds about right. You will have to stir the wort if you want it to mix completely. That said, it is highly likely that the yeast will still find it and use it all. Some stirring may still be required to allow the yeast easier access to the honey tho. What sort of yeast are you thinking of using ?

Adding the honey over three days sounds (to me at least) a lot like 'step feeding'. This can allow the yeast to reach a level of sugar utilisation higher than what can be usually achieved. Would there be any problems with adding the honey to the hot wort (not boiling) and mixing at that point ? Apart from the high SG and having to make a starter of whatever yeast you are planning to use.

I did this:

1x Coopers Draught
1x Kit yeast
1x Brew Enhancer 2
1x 500gm Stringy Bark natural honey

it was too subtle, could barely taste the honey at all and I added the 500g in primary. If doing it again, I might use more honey. I've read pasteurizing the honey before you add it also helps a lot. But I didn't want to drive any of the strong flavours away.

I did a braggot about five months ago and I have to say it tasted like a beer to me. 38% of fermentables were honey, which I added at flameout, left for ten minutes to pasturise and chilled.

It definately had more of a honey flavour than Beez Neez, not hard I know, but did not taste like a mead at all.

The only thing I would be concerned about with adding the honey straight into the fermenter is if it has already been pasturised, as you could risk infecting it with a wild yeast from the honey.

AS far as I recall, Honey is an antiseptic, which is why it's ok? I'm about to add 1kg to a wit wort, so I hope I'm right!

Cheers - Mike

AS far as I recall, Honey is an antiseptic, which is why it's ok? I'm about to add 1kg to a wit wort, so I hope I'm right!

Cheers - Mike

Just googled that and it appears to be true. Apparently yeast and bacteria cannot survive in honey.............. Just goes to show you should do your own research before believing what you're told by strangers. :ph34r:

Cheers MVZOOM.

I've never made a braggot but that sounds about right. You will have to stir the wort if you want it to mix completely. That said, it is highly likely that the yeast will still find it and use it all. Some stirring may still be required to allow the yeast easier access to the honey tho. What sort of yeast are you thinking of using ?

Adding the honey over three days sounds (to me at least) a lot like 'step feeding'. This can allow the yeast to reach a level of sugar utilisation higher than what can be usually achieved. Would there be any problems with adding the honey to the hot wort (not boiling) and mixing at that point ? Apart from the high SG and having to make a starter of whatever yeast you are planning to use.

Im going to use the Farmhouse Saison strain from wyeast, cant remember the number at the moment. I have a beer that has just finished fermenting so I will be using the yeast cake. There are 2 reasons I want to add the honey during fermentation, first I doint want to heat the honey at all and as it has been said before its not necessary. Secondly the recipe calls for a high percentage of specialty malts and I was originally concerned about a high FG but seeing my farmhouse wheat has dropped to 1.006 Im a little less worried. I guess another reason to add the honey later is to get the yeast started on the malt instead of pigging out on all the simple sugars and then slacking off, resulting in a high FG.

Jye - I'm expecting much the same from my honey wit. I think it'll leave a lot of unfermentables behind and get rid of most of the honey sweetness. The left behind stuff should add a bit of depth and that honey flavour, with the sugars providing the kick.

It's only at 1042 or so at the start, so I'm banking on a 4% ABV, finishing at 1011 or so.

Cheers - MIke

I add mine in primary.

I do boil it for ten minutes before adding, just in case.

Be carefull how much you add, honey varies in it's flavour and aroma strength.

Himzo.

ok himzo if you boil honey you kill the aromatics of it and have to add more to compensate.

ok back to the topic.
both of my braggot ive made have had the honey in the primary.
i have read about making the base beer and putting the honey in the seondary with a little hot water to dissolve it in

Out of fear of the honey sitting on the bottom of the fermenter and not fermenting out correctly I added the honey at flameout :rolleyes:

With nearly 3 kg of honey Im guessing most of the aromatics will still make it into the final product. I also pitched extra yeast to help them get the job done.

i also did this in my last one jye let us know how it goes.

Latest posts

Back