Adding Flavours

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

troyedwards

Reaction score
Hi All,

Probably been discussed a million times, so if you just want to email me the link/s to the appropiate thred that is fine.

Am looking to experiment with flavours. My plan is to brew 23L of a Coopers Lager with 500g Dextrose and 500g LME. Then when it has finsihed primary, rack it out into 4 x 5L containers and add chilli, lemon/lime, etc etc to them (thinking i will only destroy 5L rather than 23L if they dont work) and leave for a week before bulk priming with dextrose and bottleing.

Is this the best way to go about it? All tips and tricks accepted.

Cheers,
ROWDY

Hi All,

Probably been discussed a million times, so if you just want to email me the link/s to the appropiate thred that is fine.

Am looking to experiment with flavours. My plan is to brew 23L of a Coopers Lager with 500g Dextrose and 500g LME. Then when it has finsihed primary, rack it out into 4 x 5L containers and add chilli, lemon/lime, etc etc to them (thinking i will only destroy 5L rather than 23L if they dont work) and leave for a week before bulk priming with dextrose and bottleing.

Cheers,
ROWDY
I tried a citrus tasing beer using Saaz Hops.. Not outstanding, got a zang to it but not really citrus flavour.

With Lemon/Lime i have heard rind is ok and juice is ok. the white fleshy pith is bad citrus flavour.

No idea about Chilli.. sounds interesting, you might wanna consider honey/berry beer too. Let me know.

Richo.

Add a little salt to citrus brews.

I tried a citrus tasing beer using Saaz Hops.. Not outstanding, got a zang to it but not really citrus flavour.

With Lemon/Lime i have heard rind is ok and juice is ok. the white fleshy pith is bad citrus flavour.

No idea about Chilli.. sounds interesting, you might wanna consider honey/berry beer too. Let me know.

Richo.

Add a little salt to citrus brews.

Thanks for the reply, but i was really wanting to know if i was thinking correctly when i said leaving it to primary, then adding rind etc for another week before bulk priming and bottleing

Thanks for the reply, but i was really wanting to know if i was thinking correctly when i said leaving it to primary, then adding rind etc for another week before bulk priming and bottleing

I'd imagine that'd be the go.. Now I'll just sit back and wait for someone that know's what they're on about to call me an idiot.
Good luck.

Why not just split it from the start and add your "flavours" at primary?

just a word of warning, remove the seeds from the chillies. If your going to use fruit of any sort make sure it's really ripe, then you don't have to worry too much about the acidity factor. I would also boil anything you plan to add for about ten minutes just to make sure your only adding the flavours and not any nasties.

I've used 15-20g of corriander seeds, crushed them, then put in 2 table spoons of orange zeest.....boiled with 12g tetnenger hops for 15 minutes. Put this in a wheat beer with extra malt, the beer was one of my best so far.

i did a cerveza with lime about a month ago, just added rind and juice from 3 large limes to the primary. tasted it over the weekend and it is very drinkable

Why not just split it from the start and add your "flavours" at primary?

a lot of the flavours will be driven off in the primary due to the CO2 production. thats why when your dry hopping etc you do it after most of the primary ferment has taken place. lemon juice etc you could do in the primary but for bbigger more subtle flavours secondary would be the way to go.

Sounds like a good little experiment.
Definitely try frozen raspberries in one, maybe 500g worth? (look for the "fruit in beers" article for what to do).

Sounds like a good little experiment.
Definitely try frozen raspberries in one, maybe 500g worth? (look for the "fruit in beers" article for what to do).

500g for only 5L of beer...... sounds a bitt OTT? What do other suggest? Iam willing to give it a go, but i dont want it tasting like cordial.

I have made about 6 brews and am always improving, but i consider my self a novice untill i start kegging :)

500g for only 5L of beer...... sounds a bitt OTT? What do other suggest? Iam willing to give it a go, but i dont want it tasting like cordial.

I have made about 6 brews and am always improving, but i consider my self a novice untill i start kegging :)
Well, if it turns out as cordial, you could hang outside shopping centres flogging it off to little emo's... considering the new alcopop tax.
Maybe 300g then? (I'm pretty sure these are the frozen box sizes you get from Woolies)

Nothing wrong with bottling. I have 2 full fermenters needing it this week... Oh, how I love all that washing, sterilising, priming and capping. What joy!

I brew coopers cerveza and just chuck six cut up chillis and about 6 cut up kaffir lime leaves and put them in the primary.... Works a treat everytime. You need to wait 2 months or so after bottling to drink it so the flavours come together. No bitterness with the lime leaves at all.

I brew coopers cerveza and just chuck six cut up chillis and about 6 cut up kaffir lime leaves and put them in the primary.... Works a treat everytime. You need to wait 2 months or so after bottling to drink it so the flavours come together. No bitterness with the lime leaves at all.

so 6 chillis for 23L would mean about 1-2 for 5L, and 6 leaves.... i would use probably two with some lemon zest.
Thank you very much !

So Katie,

When do you add the chilli's? As soon as you have added the yeast and closed the lid, or do you add it after a few days?

Hi All,

Cheers,
ROWDY

Hi Rowdy. Sounds like a good plan to spread your risk and as you can see from above posts alot of the flavours you mentioned have been tried but usually with a cerveza style. I recently bottled one and added various amounts of chilli pieces to only a few tallies not to the secondary. The advice I got was use only a small amount and only use the fleshy parts not the pith or seeds.The most I put in was a piece about the size of your thumb nail. I have had thoughts fo trying other things like licorice and Port with other styles. Corriander seeds and other spices are also popular. For the moment Ive ditched the idea and have stocked up a few hops variaties so Ill try them first. Anyway post your results alot of K&K AHBs would be interested.
Daz.

So Katie,

When do you add the chilli's? As soon as you have added the yeast and closed the lid, or do you add it after a few days?

I add the cut up chillis and kaffir lime leaves before adding the yeast. Ive never had a problem with it. The clarity of the cerveza is amazing no haze at all. The chilli and kaffir lime leaf combines very well. Im always careful on the amount of chilli just get a slight tingle down the back of the throat no major burn. It's one of the most successful k & k brews I have done. (no twang) Quite a few guys on the foreum have tried it and love it.

Well the time has come.

Iam going to split the 23L of Mexican Cerveza (coopers) into two batches. One for chilli one for raspberry.

Should i bulk prime now before splittling or wait another week with the flavours in and then bulk prime?

Well the time has come.

Iam going to split the 23L of Mexican Cerveza (coopers) into two batches. One for chilli one for raspberry.

Should i bulk prime now before splittling or wait another week with the flavours in and then bulk prime?

Split it 1st. :icon_cheers:

just a word of warning, remove the seeds from the chillies. If your going to use fruit of any sort make sure it's really ripe, then you don't have to worry too much about the acidity factor.
Sorry to dredge up an old thread, but why remove the seeds?

Cheers - Fermented.

Latest posts

Back