Added Sugar After 1st Hops Addition? Is My Brew Ruined?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrisbell

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone knows the consequences of adding the first hop addition before adding my sugar blend.

My steps/instructions were as follows:

1.Steep grains at approx 65c.
2. Rinse and then bring to boil.
3. Add floc and nutrient and sugar blend.
4. Add first hops (amarillo).
5. Add second hops (amarillo).
6. Cool and pitch yeast.

Problem is I didn't add the sugar blend until after the first addition of hops by accident.

Is this for an extract brew that relies on those hop additions for bittering? How soon after did you add the sugar and what was the gravity of the wort before and after?

You won't have ruined your brew - there may be a harsher bittering note and will be a higher IBU extractionif it was very low gravity wort/water you were boiling for a while but it may be you'll notice nothing.

Did you strain the grains and just boil the liquid?

How much time are we talking here? If you put the hops in then immediately noticed and chucked your fermentables in I doubt you'll notice any difference. If we're talking a bit more time then your beer will be more bitter. More IBUs are extracted in plain water than wort. Your beer won't be stuffed unless you didn't notice for a fair while. And even then you may still like it if it ends up much more bitter than expected. Who knows?

[EDIT: hmmm...what an extraordinary number of typos - I think I threw myself out by not swearing at all]

With Amarillo being more of an aromatic hop then apart from a slight difference in bitterness, as the guys say, then all should be well. I frequently adjust the flavour and aroma of a brew during fermentation using a coffee plunger and just plain boiling water and do note that the resulting hop 'tea' is fairly bitter in itself, but when diluted into 23 litres it doesn't seem to throw anything out of whack.

I am not sure of the gravity before and after because I don't really make a habit of checking it (new brewer).

I left it for about 5 minutes before I realised I had made a mistake.

Thanks for all the responses.

Chris

5 minutes before but how long was the boil? If it was a 60 minute boil it will make 8 fifths of a termite's great aunt's libido's worth of difference to the end result. Actually even if it was only 10 minutes I would estimate the difference to more or less approximate the same.

5 minutes before but how long was the boil? If it was a 60 minute boil it will make 8 fifth's of a termite's great aunt's libido's worth of difference to the end result. Actually even if it was only 10 minutes I would estimate the difference to more or less approximate the same.

Yeah. I just bodged up some rough calcs in Brewsmith (assuming a whole bunch of stuff) and couldn't get get a 1040/25IBU beer to move more than 3 IBU with the delay described.

(Before anyone says the absolutely correct thing that this is worthless advice I'd just like to point out that it isn't advice at all. I just ran some beer-like numbers with an approximated beer-like extract recipe. A great many variables can change my results a lot but as I see it most of those would change the whole beer - not just the IBU extracted in that 5 minute delay.)

Latest posts

Back