About To Bottle

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bomber1975

Reaction score
G'day Everyone,
First let me say awesome forum have pretty much been reading everything for the last week and a bit. I am a newbie watched my father during the 80's bottle beer and enjoy it but it seemed so hit and miss for him I only started this year after getting a kit for X-Mas. I have had a lot of questions answered by reading the forums and articles on the site, and it has really got me excited with regards to putting down a heap of different beers from the work shop in the shed. And fingers crossed after a while branching into a bit of AG and a keg system.
But anyway the main reason I am posting is to ask after I have bottled my brew what is the method of Cleaning the kit to get it ready for my next batch? Sorry if this has been previously answered but I have searched and haven't really found anything. Any tips or tricks would be appreciated.

Cheers Damien

Cleaning the kit as in the fermenter?

First tip - do it straight away

You can use a soft sponge or cloth.
Don't use anything that will scratch the fermenter.
Cheap homebrand ubscented napisan or oxygen bleach is good for stubborn stains. Make sure it's unscented and the active ingredient is sodium percarbonate. Mix with hot water and soak. The product is biodegradeable and can go onto your garden if you have one. No ill effects in my experience. You can also use it to clean your bathroom or something similar so the water wastage is minimised.
Rinse well until the plastic doesn't feel slick. Again reuse the water where you can.

You then need to sanitise it, which is best done just before you are doing the next brew. Check this article for a rundown on sanitiser types and uses: http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...;showarticle=18

Damien..

I just rinse out the fermenter and rub the yeast ring off with a soft kitchen scrubber, remove tap and clean thread. Then air dry..

Then before I refill I boil 2 litres of water and put this in and put the lid on. Steam clean so to speak. Swish it round a bit but watch the steam preasure.. Tip that out and with 2 litres of no rinse in there now I roll around the fermenter to cover all surfaces. Tip that out and your done.

You will get your own routine going after a while..

Cheers

Back