About to bottle the First Brew

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bbutlerau

Reaction score
Woooooo
ahem, sorry about that

The recipe i posted in an older thread but here it is again:
Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
0.20 kg Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (118.2 EBC) Grain 1 6.8 %
1.25 kg Light Dry Extract (15.8 EBC) Dry Extract 2 42.4 % - in boil
20.00 g Galaxy [13.20 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 3 17.0 IBUs
20.00 g Galaxy [13.20 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 4 13.1 IBUs
20.00 g Cascade [6.70 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 5 4.3 IBUs
20.00 g Galaxy [13.20 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 6 8.5 IBUs
15.00 g Cascade [6.70 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 7 0.0 IBUs
1.0 pkg Safale American (DCL/Fermentis #US-05) [ Yeast 8 -
1.50 kg Light Dry Extract (15.8 EBC) Dry Extract 9 50.8 %
15.00 g Cascade [6.70 %] - Dry Hop 5.0 Days Hop 10 0.0 IBUs

Now i made some mistakes ill rectify for next time (my boil gravity was way too high, ned only 400g or so of DME for a 6L boil.... i used 1.25kg .....facepalm) and its a bit too bitter for an APA, its closer to an IPA but all good

Botteling tonight ... smells and tastes amazing so far

I bought a cheap $5 pump syphon from bunnings on the weekend in order to transfer the beer into the bottling bucket. I forgot to check if it was food grade and it turns out it is PVC and says not for drinking water haha.
Opinion? Still of to use ?
Risk it anyway?

Cheers

If you are siphoning the beer at normal temperatures, say below 30 deg C, I think you'll be fine. I'd be concerned about the horrible taste of pvc in my beer than potential cancer risks if you use non food grade hose at close to boiling temperatures... but I am hard core.

I'm with smoken
Mind you when I bottle I prime individually and prime direct from the tap with a bottle wand. For kegging I use beverage tubing.

yeah was going to put ca. 150g of dextrose in water (boiled for a bit) into a second fermenter i bought, gently stir, and then use the bottling wand on the sap of that one. saves me priming individually. I guess at room them it shouldnt leech that bad and it not like im soaking it in it.

I'm not sure if I would use PVC in my brew setup but I wouldn't fret to much about it if I did either. I'd run a few liters of tap water through the PVC first though, it should flush out any traces of plastic dust left in the pipes from the manufacturing process. Getting that in your beer would probably effect the taste and drinking experience. That's my 2 cents.

Latest posts

Back