Aabc 2006 Results

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DJR

I'm out
Reaction score
Here we go, the AABC results just got emailed to me so i thought i'd upload them here.

I wonder when they will go to BJCP for the style cats (or at least TRY to make it standard across the board), i know there is a couple of entries that haven't been listed here because there was no style for them (e.g. American Rye).

Seeing my APA get beaten by the IPA's isn't fun, but i guess that's brewing comps for you.

Congrats to those winning entries, i must just be a bit sore, oh well :(

View attachment AABC2006_FullResults.pdf

View attachment AABC2006_SummaryOfResults.pdf

Thanks DJR - was just looking for them on the VICBREW website at the exact time you posted.

Congrats to all the entrants who qualified and those who took out places. Hope to hear how the comp went from those who attended on the day.

Cheers :beer:

Well I'm pretty stoked. I qualified in Belgian with a Dubbel, but the keg had run dry after Bathurst and NSW comps.
As per the rules I was able to enter another beer in the category, so entered a fresh Wit, and it took third. Nice.
The American Barleywine (ala Hill Brewers Guild Imperial Pils didn't go quite as well. The intense flavours are fading. Still happy though.

Thanks to all the organisers.

Beers,
Doc

Mine got caned! ;) I knows theres a bit of subjectivity, but 30 points difference from the NSW comp was a bit of a surprise. Looking forward to reading the judging sheets.

Congrats to all the winners.

Well done everyone....especially the Canberra Brewers!!
Cheers
Steve

Niiiice

Even better - I've still got a full keg of the APA to celebrate with !!
....not sure what happened to my Marzen though :unsure:

Congrats to all

Asher for now

Niiiice

Even better - I've still got a full keg of the APA to celebrate with !!
....not sure what happened to my Marzen though :unsure:

Congrats to all

Asher for now

Congrats Asher for flying the sandgroper flag high. :beerbang:

Having had a bit of the marzen on Sat arvo, I have to say I'm a bit surprised too. Must have been some super beers in that dark lager category!

Well done everyone....especially the Canberra Brewers!!
Cheers
Steve

Ditto!
I say we celebrate with a few drinks around at Brother Stagger's Inn - well done Craig!
And congrats to all those brewers who actually managed to qualify and enter a beer, let alone those who scored and/or medalled!!

Cheers,
TL

Cheers Rowan a very pleasant result I must say, I have had my chest puffed out all day.

Best of all the Canberra brewers flag has been held high again.

Craig

Stagger, that's an awesome result - bloody brilliant :super: :super:

Congrats to all the other place getters as well - Here's hoping Qld has a qualifying comp next year so we can all have a go... B)

Cheers Ross

Mine got caned! ;) I knows theres a bit of subjectivity, but 30 points difference from the NSW comp was a bit of a surprise. Looking forward to reading the judging sheets.

Congrats to all the winners.

Mine too! Although I was expecting as much as I had to submit my Scottish 80/- as a 70/-. I also entered a different 80/- to the one that qualified as it was a bit lower in gravity and therefore closer to the 70/- guidelines, but it may have been an inferior beer. Still I suppose I can say I've got the 2nd best scottish ale in the country. Congratulations to all of the winners, it looks like I'll have to sneak over the Brindabella's one day and steal some of the Canberra Brewers secrets!

Congrats to all the winners. I am very happy with the way I went, congrats to craig and all the canberra brewers, that was a solid showing. Its amazing the points difference between first, second and third, sometimes over 20 points! Wish I coulda been there, musta been some tasty beers. Thanks also to the organisers and helpers who no doubt put in alot of effort. Now looking forwrd to next years qualifiers.
All the best
Trent

Congrats to the winners and well done to the comp organisers. I'm very pleased with my results. Here's hoping I'll be back next year to improve.

G'day all.
I was briefly thinking about attending the event, but was talked out of it.
Not sure if I could've handled watching it anyway.

I spoke with Mark Hibberd, by phone, on Sunday a week back (5 Nov) and was advised that the categories will be expanded next year to include the BJCP styles (unless I didn't understand).

In the AABC, I placed similar to the NSW comp, relative to the NSW entries at least. They recorded my Old Ale's final gravity incorrectly. It was 1.001, but they must have found that unbelievable and recorded it as 1.010. Not bad for a dry yeast, though.

Unlike Doc, I didn't have a backup Belgian or French beer to enter. :(

Yeah, I've put beer in the Nat comp before, and got caned, with some very negative feedback, so I wasn't expecting much better this time. Surprised to get a place, with a beer that I prob should have tossed 4 years ago (he he). :lol:

Congrats to all...judges, competitors, winners and Champions. I may see you all next year.

Seth :p

I spoke with Mark Hibberd, by phone, on Sunday a week back (5 Nov) and was advised that the categories will be expanded next year to include the BJCP styles (unless I didn't understand).

Les,

I must have the same problem understanding as well. This is what we were all told for this years comp.

Or at least this what was said ... the reality appeared a little different.

All that we can hope that it will be next year as this makes it 2 years in a row that the NSW Champion Beer (and brewer) was ineligible to compete in the Nationals due to the style of beer chosen.

At least you could enter it in the NSW comp - even if it was a dead end road.

David

David,

The NSW comp was not a dead end road, but the gateway to a huge open pasture, full of opportunity. :D

Hey, I was a multimedia personality for week (newspapers and radio and Centrelink satellite television :lol: ). The local paper wants to do a follow-up story on my Nats results, so I can give my opinion then. You want me to give 'em your phone number? :p

This week I found a longneck of the NSW winning ale (Berlinisch weisse), and I'm wondering if I should hang onto it for posterity, for next year's comp (don't need 2, coz I won't be able to enter it in the Nats, ha ha), or take it to work, and blow a few minds (and tastebuds) with a sour ale. Ah, choices, choices...

No beer tonight. That way I won't be crying in it...

Off now to bottle an American wheat ale.

Anyhow, it looks like I got a prize in the Nats, although I won't believe that until it gets here via the highly dubious country postal system. Can anyone say broken trophy? I wanna see trophy photos on this thread (or a new one) soon!

Beerz
Seth out (but not down) :p

Seth :p
[/quote]

This has me really suprised. For 5 years there has been laborious discussions to update the comp to integrate and be more relevant. There were some mighty promises to do so this year with adoption of more of the BJCP program, but when the guidlines were released this sadly was not the case and yet more empty promises. (and plagerism)

There is a large group of NSW and ACT brewers who are sitting and passing BJCP exams. These brewers are using this as a well researched and put together reference point.

And Dave I do need to correct you, next year will be the 3rd year in a row that a NSW brewer cannot enter the Nationals.

Scotty

Recieved a very nice engraved beer glass yesterday from the AABC.
Great trophy guys.
Thanks for a great Nationals Comp.

Beers,
Doc

Les,

I must have the same problem understanding as well. This is what we were all told for this years comp.

Or at least this what was said ... the reality appeared a little different.

All that we can hope that it will be next year as this makes it 2 years in a row that the NSW Champion Beer (and brewer) was ineligible to compete in the Nationals due to the style of beer chosen.

At least you could enter it in the NSW comp - even if it was a dead end road.

David

Don't you guys ever give up <_<

The question can also be asked "Why did the NSW organisers run a qualifying competition for entry into the Nationals with styles and catagories that weren't a part of the national comp?" You all knew what the requirements for the Nationals were so why did you go ahead and judge styles that could not qualify?

This is getting pretty tiring, why not put it down to experience and let it lie!

Cheers
Andrew

Back