A Wise Investment

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alby

Reaction score
Well Ive done it!

Having not brewed since moving to Broome I reckon Ive spent thousands $$$ on commercial beer in the four years Ive been here. Picking up my $50 fridge this arvo and Ive just placed an order for a fridgemate, some yeasts, hops and other gear to $130....Im so excited, it will be hard to wait for it all to arrive....and even harder to wait for the beer to ferment and condition and finally for my investment to pay for itself many times over!!!

Im sure she will understand. :unsure: ..she likes beer and even used to drink my Coopers APA + BE2 (and that was with the kit yeast). Im hoping the new yeast (got S04 and US05) and some hops will make an improvement...never tried it before!

Cheers :icon_cheers: :icon_cheers:

Al

Goodonya Alby, great work! :icon_cheers:
They're all the right moves IMO, the fridge in particular, and quitting forking out silly amounts of dough for commercial shite is one of the best parts, I don't know how I even drank the rubbish, it was insanely mediocre the crap I used to drink.
The APA is a half decent can (I just picked up a few for $11 at the local supermarket, stoked!). With BE2 and the kit yeast its passable, extract, aroma hops and those better yeasts makes it just so simple and yet wunderbar!
Cheers! :party:

I have spent over $600 in the last week on HBing items......

That said, that included an urn, pile of extra equipment to move to AG, 30kg of base malt, 4kg spec grain, 700g hops and 6 packets of dried yeast......

I still call it money well spent.

US-05 is a great all rounder, can finish with a bit of a crisp sort of chardonnay taste at least it did in the cerveza i did with it.
Hops are always a good thing!

I spent well over $1000 to get started into AG...worth every penny.

I just clicked over my first hundred to go AG, and that was only to step up to a 50 litre electric boiler.

I spent well over $1000 to get started into AG...worth every penny.

Fair call, heaps less by others, heaps more by others but thats a fair call, at some stage you gotta count the pennies, its not cheap beer if a few batches dont work out even more expensive should a new liquid yeast go shite onya. So many ways too spend money, its gets silly. I reckon fly by the seat of ones, get a few mates too taste with ya, that goes ok, maybe enter a beer in a comp. All of a sudden you have a wealth of feedback too work with. You dont need too care the beer finished 1st or last it was the comments re, fermentation temp, fusels, esters, dryness etc etc etc that will make your next batch even better.
US-O5 stonefruit spoils any good well crafted beer, it does mine, dont use it anymore.

Hey Alby I see you wisely decided to go the fridge route. Here in SEQ we are drifting into glorious Autumn weather with 28 degree days and 19 degree nights and the golden brewing months are fast approaching.

However I'm sure you will be holding your own up in the North West there and will have all the help you need from the forum here

:icon_cheers: :icon_cheers: :icon_cheers:

Latest posts

Back